Why become a member? ×

74 jazz identification issues. Now with more photo's.

karlfer

Hi folks and help please.
I have had a '74 jazz for over 20 years, identified by serial number.The plan has become to sell it, as considering it valuable, it has not been gigged for 5 years, so is being wasted.
I intended to take her to Richard Tomson in Wigan for a neck check,full set up, prior to selling in New Year.
This morning, because of what I have learned on this fabulous site, I started to strip her down as I now know how to identify neck/body stamps.
The 1st horror is that the neck pocket seems to show it is stripped from sunburst, o.k. at least 20 years ago, but it's happened, nowt to be done.
The neck pocket seems to have an "f" and a circle with INC...31....1 in the different sections of the circle.
Second horror no date stamp on end of neck.
The neck has a word starting ARM..., and a small circular stamp that is unreadable.
Third horror, nothing really readable in pocket.
I already knew the nut was obiously a replacement and I think the scratchplate is as well, as there is a slight gap between that and the control panel(not removed plate as screws are bit rusty.. The frets are well worn and the bass has lots of "character" scuffs, marks etc. Only thing I have had done is occasional service/string change.
It is also the lightest, fastest jazz I have ever had, hence why I have owned and played it for so long.
The pots have the following characters(as best as my eyes allow!).
032367 250K-A 137753
I am now about to attempt to upload some camera phone stuff, I can also email photo's I think.
As it appears it's not what I thought, I will just get it serviced and set up, and enjoy playing it, due to not being scared by it's previously percieved value.

Many thanks for any help, clues, opinions you can give,
Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

I'm absolutely no expert, Karl, but my recently-purchased 74 Jazz has similar markings to yours - i.e. some code on the heel of the neck, and nothing much in the neck pocket. I was hoping the heel of the neck would read "MAR 74" or something but others have assured me that Fender stopped doing this at the end of the 60's.

I'll be interested to see what other responses you get.

I've had the pleasure of playing this bass - Karlfer, you're not joking - this is the fastest, slickest jazz I've played (though with the frets the way they are, it does feel a bit like a fretless:) My own '76 is super-slim and incredibly fast, but not as quick as yours. The body strip is a bit of a pain but I wouldn't worry about the rest. Bass Doc has much greater knowledge than myself, but I'd concur at '75. My bass has a neck-end stamp in faded green, but the whole stamping procedure seems to be hit and miss. From what I've seen of the bass, I'd say it's a genuine but stripped '75 (and a very fine one at that)

Lots of seventies Fenders have missing dates codes on the neck, so nothing to worry about there. The 'ARM' bit is probably Xavier Armenta, who would have been the guy who worked on the neck. Sounds like you've got a refinished Jazz with a final assembly date of 1975. :)

Hells bells lads, I'd only just gone for a cuppa.
Many thanks Happy Jack and Bass Doc, I'm not crying quite as much now! Wonderful how helpful you guys are.

Lozbass I owe you a great debt for pointing this site out to me when you bought my ex Sei, and I hope you still love her!
Thanks for the kind words on the jazz, much better from you than me.
Bet you are sat in watching the wonderful white stuff in Manc?

Again thanks fellas, I don't want to put something up for sale that isn't what it seems. There are a few on ebay that do that for us!