Why become a member? ×

So, I'm a convert..........

geoffbyrne

I bought an OLP Stingray a couple of weeks ago & playing at home I decided to move it on as I wasn't overwhelmed by the tone, or, particularly, the neck which is quite thick/chunky and I prefer the 'shallow D' type.

However, I stripped it down & cleaned it up, put it back together & decent setup, ending up with a great action. A new set of 45-135 strings & the raising of the bass end of the pickup gave me one of the best B strings I've ever played.

I took it to the Open Mike night at the Old Volunteer in Nottingham last night &, to be honest, the playing action & the tone were truly excellent (it's the 1 vol, 2 tone type - I turned off the middle control, taking off the highs but leaving the mids).

It was round, bassy & punchy. Perfect in the mix. We went down very well, which helped.

Problem is, I *must* lose one of my basses as I want to buy a lightweight head.

The only other bass I would part with is my Frankenjazz which (for my ear) sounds great & plays just as well.

Now, you don't get a lot of cash for self-builds these days. I hate to strip a bass down & sell it as parts, but I'll probably get more for it that way.

I'll have a lovely Japanese (probably Matsumoku) Jazz neck from the late 60's, early 70's, a pair of DiMarzio Model J's, by the way, a bridge DiMarzio Ultrajazz, a Schaller 3D 4 string bridge and an Olympic White Squier Standard body with tort pickguard, controls and metal covers. I should get a few bob for those, but as I said, I hate splitting up a bass.

Anybody else feel the same or has had to do it?

G.