Why become a member? ×

Can anyone reccomend a painter London/Surrey area

raze

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='686762' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:41 PM']How many rooms do you need doing? :)[/quote]
lol
funny f##ker
should have been a bit more specific i guess
I got a geddy Love it to bits but its a kind of matt black relic look at the moment so im considering having it sprayed
of if they want to much money ill live with the grungy look

resprays are tricky jobs & therefore not cheap. I reckon you are looking at a minimum of £200. It's not worth skimping on a respray.

A link I got from Basschat which came highly recommended [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/links.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/links.htm[/url]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='686818' date='Dec 16 2009, 10:11 PM']resprays are tricky jobs & therefore not cheap. I reckon you are looking at a minimum of £200. It's not worth skimping on a respray.

A link I got from Basschat which came highly recommended [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/links.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/links.htm[/url][/quote]

+1

I hear good things about Sims, but the question of cost always (& quite understandably) raises it's head.

Sad, but true fact: A quality paint job costs. Decent spec materials can be expensive, proper equipment to apply them ain't cheap, & the whole job will be compromised if the preparation is skimped. Oh, and the craftsman that does the job will want paying as well as it's rather labour-intensive.

I know a thing or two about paint & its application, being a semi-semi-pro signwriter who's had to hand-prep, brush paint, coach-line, gild & varnish a couple of these beasties to museum standard in my time:

It takes a while, but oddly enough didn't prepare me for the experience of finishing my fretless rebuild using car aerosols:
(Photos taken after respray, but before cutting/polishing)

It took months (mainly waiting for the finish to harden), & used far more materials than I thought it ever would! I'd guess at approx £40+ for paint & I lost count of the hours I put in flatting it down with various grades of wet & dry (finishing up with 1500 grit) & hand polishing it. I'm still not entirely happy with it & if I'd had to charge it out as a job I'd have taken a hefty loss.

Never again. Not that way at least. I'd have been better off brush painting it, & if I had a Tardis that's exactly how I'd do it.

According to Sims' price guide you'd be looking at £235 - £325 depending on whether it needs stripping first. With what I learned on the SB-1000F project, that seems a fair price for a pro refinish.

Would yours just stand a polishing?

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

thing is I dont mind paying but it is not a £200 job however good it is
i been building custom bikes for 10 years and am used to paying that sort of money for a pro job on a complete bike
I could almost buy a new painted warmoth body for that
looks like its destin to stay a relic :)

[quote name='raze' post='687257' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:58 PM']thing is I dont mind paying but it is not a £200 job however good it is
i been building custom bikes for 10 years and am used to paying that sort of money for a pro job on a complete bike
I could almost buy a new painted warmoth body for that
looks like its destin to stay a relic :)[/quote]

Fair enough, but metal ain't wood.

Pete.

I concur, wood is a bastad to refinish without proper compressor, gun and EXPERIENCE. I have done maybe 12 guitars now using carpaint and hours (and hours and hours) of cutting back, reapplying, cutting back, reapplying, top laquer, cutback, reapply, T-Cut til you have RSI.... and I am still not comfortable with it. I am not in a position where I have the time, money and workload to bother buying a decent compressor and gun, then learning how to use it properly, so I am stuck with my own tedious work, or paying someone 200 quid for a proper job from someone who does it for a living.
If you know any good bike people, get them to quote a minimum 6 coat cellulose finish with cutbacks inbetween each coat, then final cut/polish. Add another 4 coats if you want a clear coat over the colour to give it more depth. If they offer you change from 150, its up to you if you wanna chance it, or go to a pro who's done GUITARS before. If its a bolt-on neck cheap-mid value bass, you have nothing to lose, as you can just strip it back to wood if they mess it up.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='687666' date='Dec 17 2009, 07:46 PM']Fair enough, but metal ain't wood.

Pete.[/quote]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='690148' date='Dec 20 2009, 09:16 PM']I'd paint the pickups . Sorry but ugh! (the pickups not the bass)[/quote]
and I should give a toss about your opinion why ? :)

there original dimarzios from the 70's , sound awesome

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='690148' date='Dec 20 2009, 09:16 PM']I'd paint the pickups . Sorry but ugh! (the pickups not the bass)[/quote]

[quote name='raze']and I should give a toss about your opinion why ?[/quote]

Please keep it civil.

Everyone's taste is different and everyone is entitled to their taste.

Thanks.