Why become a member? ×

I got the Power...well...not yet!

bassjamm

Hey everyone,

I've decided I'm embarking along the long a treacherous road that leads to Pedalsville and well, I need me some energy to get there...

So, what's the best way of powering all my pedals from one unit or power supply? I know Boss do something along these lines, and you can get daisy chain things...but I know pretty much nothing about all of this stuff, so what do you guys recommend?

If it helps, I'll be running the following:

Mesa Boogie Rocket
EBS Octabass
MXR Bass Auto Q
A synth of some kind which is yet to be purchased...

So nothing to extravagant I suppose.

Look forward to hearing back from you all.

Many thanks
Jamie

[quote name='woodster' post='683772' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:49 AM']I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/pedal-power/"]http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/pedal-power/[/url][/quote]

+1

One of my best purchases, small neat and versatile and not that expensive compared to some power supplies.

[quote name='markl' post='683780' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:59 AM']+1

One of my best purchases, small neat and versatile and not that expensive compared to some power supplies.[/quote]

This is a great product but the only thing to bear in mind is that some pedals don't like playing well with others and daisychaining certain pedals can lead to problems - also if the chain dies the whole pedals are Kaput until you get it repaired.

A slightly larger but more stable solution is to get an isolated supply. I use a rothwell audio one which is really excellent, very high quality and excellent value. The market leader in this respect is the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II which is probably the most versatile but it is quite expensive. Other seeming highly regarded alternatives are the T-Rex ones or you could always look at a powered board ala Trailer Trash.

Its all about cost and there are lots of different supplies out there professing to be the best. Depending on the use I would look at Diago, Rothwell or Voodoo Labs.

You won't be able to run the bottle rocket off a power supply, it needs it's own, so that only leaves you with 3 pedals, unless you plan on buying a lot more. For that kind of use, I don't think the diago's worth it, it's quite expensive and provides far more power than you'll need. I'd check the current requirements for the pedals you want to run and get a single adapter and use a daisy chain

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='684241' date='Dec 14 2009, 05:49 PM']You won't be able to run the bottle rocket off a power supply, it needs it's own, so that only leaves you with 3 pedals, unless you plan on buying a lot more. For that kind of use, I don't think the diago's worth it, it's quite expensive and provides far more power than you'll need. I'd check the current requirements for the pedals you want to run and get a single adapter and use a daisy chain[/quote]

Thanks for that mate, and for everyone else's input.

So would I just need a normal 9v adapter then use a bog standard daisy chain to whack the power onto the other pedals?

Thanks
Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='684434' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:23 PM']Thanks for that mate, and for everyone else's input.

So would I just need a normal 9v adapter then use a bog standard daisy chain to whack the power onto the other pedals?

Thanks
Jamie[/quote]

Yes, [b][i]provided it can supply the power needed[/i][/b].

Find out what each pedal draws (probably given in mA), add 'em up, then find a PSU that'll supply a bit more (prob best to go at least +50%, cos I think I hear the dulcet tones of GAS).

e.g.

100mA+250mA+50mA = 400mA so buy an adapter/PSU that can give at least 500mA. Similar idea to giving yourself headroom on an amp.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='684448' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:30 PM']Yes, [b][i]provided it can supply the power needed[/i][/b].

Find out what each pedal draws (probably given in mA), add 'em up, then find a PSU that'll supply a bit more (prob best to go at least +50%, cos I think I hear the dulcet tones of GAS).

e.g.

100mA+250mA+50mA = 400mA so buy an adapter/PSU that can give at least 500mA. Similar idea to giving yourself headroom on an amp.

Pete.[/quote]

Ha...thanks mate, GAS indeed :)

the mesa will obviously need the AC power supply (iirc the one you bought includes this). Most effects power supplys are DC. So without doubt the rocket will really always need a dedicated power supply. The others will just need a bog standard boss type 9v. Depending how anal you are, you can pick them up for anything between £10 and £???. As long as its regulated and at least a good 1000ma, any will do.

[quote name='Kev' post='684617' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:32 PM']the mesa will obviously need the AC power supply (iirc the one you bought includes this). Most effects power supplys are DC. So without doubt the rocket will really always need a dedicated power supply. The others will just need a bog standard boss type 9v. Depending how anal you are, you can pick them up for anything between £10 and £???. As long as its regulated and at least a good 1000ma, any will do.[/quote]

Thanks mate...think i'm getting my head around all this now.