Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB400S Fretless

gicut58

For sale is my trusty old Yamaha BB400S 4 string fretless, as pictured

I bought her more than 10 years ago, possible mid-90's manufacture - you know what it's like when the neck starts yellowing as it gets older
She was battered and bruised before I bought her, so had new Yamaha machine heads and a set up, and I've used her for home recording only since then.
Good action, smooth, mellow player.
I would like what I paid (!) I reckon £100 would be about right.
So, if you want a cheap xmas prezzie or to learn to find your way round a fretless, you could do a lot worse.

Collection only please, Huntingdon/Cambridge area

[attachment=38225:yamaha_f...sale_001.jpg][attachment=38226:yamaha_f...sale_002.jpg][attachment=3822
7:yamaha_f...sale_003.jpg][attachment=38228:yamaha_f...sale_004.jpg][attachment=38229:yamaha_f...sale
_005.jpg][attachment=38230:yamaha_f...sale_006.jpg][attachment=38231:yamaha_f...sale_009.jpg]

I just got one of these, MIJ, early 80s - and looks absolutely identical to this one. I'd say this one was a similar age. If mine's anything to go on, this is a serious bargain at £100.

The only difference is that mine still has its original torque-adjustable tuners. Which rattle!

Jon.

probably sold, subject to the usual yadeyadeya.,
but please let me know if you're interested just in case this falls by the wayside for whatever reason.

I agree with you about the bridge, and if she was made mid-70's /80's, could be older than a decent proportion of Basschatters :)

g

[quote name='thebuckets' post='685665' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:18 PM']Sure you won't post? Fancy a first go on a fretless any of you fretless players think this would be good for learning the black art of fretless on?[/quote]

Wot I learned on. And I'm still playing it every day.

Get a luthier to check the neck and sort out any bumps, get the relief flattish, and away you go.

Add a decent outboard preamp, and you've got a £800 bass. No doubt about it.

Can't believe nobody's snapped this up.

fatback

I have nothing to post with/in, and there's no way I want to damage it. -
DHL, Fedex,UPS, etc. have a habit of chucking things around, especially if they've got a 'fragile' sticker on,
so it would have to be packed securely

I appreciate the bumpage chaps, thanks

gicut58

[quote name='fatback' post='686138' date='Dec 16 2009, 10:48 AM']Wot I learned on. And I'm still playing it every day.

Get a luthier to check the neck and sort out any bumps, get the relief flattish, and away you go.

Add a decent outboard preamp, and you've got a £800 bass. No doubt about it.

Can't believe nobody's snapped this up.

fatback[/quote]

[quote name='fatback' post='686138' date='Dec 16 2009, 10:48 AM']Can't believe nobody's snapped this up.

fatback[/quote]

Ditto - I got one of these as a return to fretless, having sold my never gigged, barely touched Ibby SR800FL in defeat! Mine's an absolute peach, neck straight as a die, lovely low action, plays & sounds delightful - and I can't put it down. And I can't wait for the chance to gig with it. :)

J.

Having had some questions as a result of different peeps taking a closer look at the photos, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify:

The ding down by the dials looks bad because the guitar is black and I used a flash on that photo and it's picked up ridges - rather reveal too much than too little. The guitar is black and the wood has been marked - the original paint has been touched up. If this was a £1000 bass I'd be worried but but I'm not - it's up for sale at £100 - and as I said originally it's battered and bruised, and its the woodwork, not the electrics or the feel of it. This ain't a new geetar.

I have been asked if I'll take it apart, pack and send - I can do that it if that's what is required, but I didn't offer to post it because I didn't want to upset the current setup (which in my opinion is good, but that's subjective to a certain extent) - tension, action and 'playability'.

Hope this helps,
gicut58

• 4 weeks later...

bought paid for and recieved.
just bought this bass and am very sorry, sorry i didnt try yamahas a long time ago!

dead heavy built like a tank but great tone, found a website that dates it to 1983 so ive got a vintage fretless bass with a fretless p tone for a snip. many thanks to bassassasin and fatback for sound advice regarding this bass and thanks to gicut for a great hassle free sale

anyone know were i can get a truss rod key for this bass?

cheers
Bri