Why become a member? ×

thumb rests

Al Heeley

I've wondered for ages about those little thumb rests some people have on their vintage basses, the ones below the strings but I've alway been embarassed to ask and feel stupid.
You know, the one screwed into the scratchplate near the vol knob. What's it all about? How does a thumb rest below the strings work? What's its real purpose? Surely it's entirely impractical as a position to offer any support to the right hand when playing?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='681878' date='Dec 12 2009, 01:16 AM']I've wondered for ages about those little thumb rests some people have on their vintage basses, the ones below the strings but I've alway been embarassed to ask and feel stupid.
You know, the one screwed into the scratchplate near the vol knob. What's it all about? How does a thumb rest below the strings work? What's its real purpose? Surely it's entirely impractical as a position to offer any support to the right hand when playing?[/quote]

Nah, it's back in the day when people used to play the strings with their thumbs, the rests would be for the other fingers.

On my Stingray, I felt I needed a thumbrest, but I didn't want to "spoil" the look of the bass. Because all the knobs and pickguard screws are chrome finish, I bought a chrome-finish mirror-mounting screw and positioned it above the E string. It blends in pretty well with the pearloid scratchplate and could almost pass as a (curiously-sited) extra control knob. I'd be pretty lost without it.

on the treble side they are referred to as tug bars. as max said they were placed there in the 50's because players switching over from uprights found them useful aids for hand positioning. the fingers were placed on the edge facing away from the player to increase leverage.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='685534' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:27 PM']I've got copies of the official Fender spare parts list from the late 60s/early 70s in which our little black plastic friend is referred to as a finger rest. However I quite like the sound of tug bar.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

fancy a pint :)