Why become a member? ×

Fender Archivists wanted (please help)

karlfer

Hi folks,
dont know if anybody can shed any light, but,

USA active Precision, with P/J configuration, early 80's, no scratchplate, basically a bit like a Precision Lyte.

Would this have the serial number at the bottom of the neck, i.e. where the date stamp would be?
I have been told that to see the serial number on this bass, you have to take the neck off.

Not something I have heard of with USA Fenders, so does anybody know of examples of this?

Any advice appreciated,
Cheers,
Karl.

Thanks guys, I thought it kinda strange, but it looks good in every other aspect.

This forum is bl*^&y fantastic the way you help folk out.
Delberthot are you one of the clairvoyant geezers?
If so, the correct 6 numbers for tonights lottery please!

As yet I haven't fathomed the mysteries of posting links, but ebay item number 270498261928.

It looks good and isn't far from me, but I am a little unsure.

I also think you are looking at a genuine Fender Precision Bass Plus Deluxe and it would have been made between 1991 and 1996.

I must confess I thought these would have had a "N" series serial number on the headstock ? . . . If my memory serves me well, the Fender Precision Bass Plus Deluxe shared a neck profile / headstock shape etc with the Fender Prodigy Bass from the same era ? The Prodigies were made only between 1991 and 1993 I think and had a slightly more pointy body shape ?

So . . it looks ok . . . . but I'm sure it should have the N series serial number on the headstock ? . . . the absence of that is very odd ?

Hope this helps ?

:rolleyes: :) :lol:

having just had a nose through The Fender Bass book, it does look like a Precision Bass Plus Deluxe, except:

the headstock logo doesn't look right (it looks more sci-fi in the book) and should have a serial number - right number of frets though (22)

the tuners don't look right

(both of which might just be that it's an earlier/later version than the one in the book)

the bridge is missing the fine tuners (but is otherwise right)

the pickups should be Lace Sensors and not EMGs

Edited by Paul_C

That does look a little like a Prodigy, but prodigies didn;t have precision bodies, they were a bit more rounded and the horns were pointier, that's definitely a Precision Bass Plus Deluxe - But I would have expected to find the S/N on the rear of the headstock.

P-Bass Plus Deluxe

Either way, that looks like a good price, but I'd definitely want to play it before I committed.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='681413' date='Dec 11 2009, 03:14 PM']finally found a pic of the headstock logo that the book suggests should be on it

which also has a serial no. on it - and the right tuners :)[/quote]

Good bit of detective work, S/n in the same place as the Prodigy, mine is N1 and also is a very low number.

Which reminds me, anyone want to buy a very rare Prodigy Bass?

• 2 years later...