Why become a member? ×

Humming sound on Jazz bass

Clarky

My newly acquired Nash Jazz bass has a slight humming noise when plugged in. Its not very loud but its a little annoying. This goes away if I touch the metal control plate or if I 'jiggle' the jack socket slightly via putting pressure on the guitar lead.

Being a techno-phobe when it comes to things electronic, what does this mean? Is it something to do with grounding or shielding? Most importantly, what do I need to do to stop it? Thanks in advance. As I say not a huge issue but just not something I have experienced before.

PS, don't think its anything to do with pickups as they are UltraJazzes which are stacked Jazz-shaped humbuckers.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='678050' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:32 PM']sounds like earthing to me. I had the same thing on my 80s P-bass and sorted it with copper tape. It's perfect now[/quote]

Thx Tim/BB. Just proving how ignorant I am of these things, what exactly do I need to do with the copper tape? Also where could I buy copper tape? Thx again, Clarky

Pretty much as yorick says....

[quote name='yorick' post='678079' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:01 PM']Cover the inside of the control cavity with the tapem and maybe the underside if the control plate.[/quote]

I got my friend who services guitars to do mine as I have a similar technical phobia (plus he won't charge me!). It can be included in a fairly normal set up and you could get your local shop to do it. The copper tape is pennies and EBay is as good a source as anywhere.

Hmmm. When you jiggle the jack plug, are you touching it? If so and your touching metal casing, you're doing exactly the same as touching the strings/control plate.

However, jiggling the jack by touching the actual plastic lead maks a difference it sounds like there's a loose or dry solder joint on the jackplug or that it's not fitted correctly.

Might not need to shield it, even though it's a good idea.

[quote name='Buzz' post='679237' date='Dec 9 2009, 04:39 PM']Hmmm. When you jiggle the jack plug, are you touching it? If so and your touching metal casing, you're doing exactly the same as touching the strings/control plate.

However, jiggling the jack by touching the actual plastic lead maks a difference it sounds like there's a loose or dry solder joint on the jackplug or that it's not fitted correctly.

Might not need to shield it, even though it's a good idea.[/quote]
Thx Buzz (aptly named!) It was the former, ie, when I touch the metal ending of the lead so I was effectively touching the control plate indirectly. Presume that's a shielding issue as other think?

Cheers Clarky

the old favourite..check the bridge earth...i put on a black bridge and had to scrape of some black to get the wire underneath to give an earth reading when fitted

also jazz pups only buck hum when both are on full volume....

of course all the earlier comments apply...and check it out on different places...my home sockets induce hum when the boiler pump is running

best of luck

[quote name='mrcrow' post='679387' date='Dec 9 2009, 07:00 PM']the old favourite..check the bridge earth...i put on a black bridge and had to scrape of some black to get the wire underneath to give an earth reading when fitted

also jazz pups only buck hum when both are on full volume....

of course all the earlier comments apply...and check it out on different places...my home sockets induce hum when the boiler pump is running

best of luck[/quote]

Just reinforcing the comment above. My jazz hums a bit if either pickup volume is lower than the other but silent when both at the same level. But any extra screening may help.

[quote name='Clarky' post='678043' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:27 PM']PS, don't think its anything to do with pickups as they are UltraJazzes which are stacked Jazz-shaped humbuckers.[/quote]

[quote]Just reinforcing the comment above. My jazz hums a bit if either pickup volume is lower than the other but silent when both at the same level. But any extra screening may help.[/quote]

See Clarkys earlier comment...the pups are not standard Jazz pups, they're stacked.

[quote name='thebeat' post='681264' date='Dec 11 2009, 01:05 PM']See Clarkys earlier comment...the pups are not standard Jazz pups, they're stacked.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

that was stupid to miss that..bit of knee jerk and lack of attention, sorry

can the interference be getting i via other components..i would still vote for a check using the bass on other electrical outlets without any lighting being on... :) might need a torch

doing a short over the jack would perhaps eliminate any thoughts about that..

i cant comment on copper tape shielding...i have never used it

Edited by mrcrow