Why become a member? ×

Silent neutrik cables

solo4652

Hi,

I'm in the market for a silent-jack neutrik instrument lead. I've spotted on on the 'net which comes with this warning:

"Please note:

The signal will not be muted with active electric bass guitars which have a tip-ring-sleeve tap to activate the power supply."

Errrr, what? I have a Stingray and a G&L Tribute, both of which are active. I'm not sure whether this lead will work with these basses. Can anybody enlighten me, please?

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='677022' date='Dec 7 2009, 07:12 PM']Hi,

I'm in the market for a silent-jack neutrik instrument lead. I've spotted on on the 'net which comes with this warning:

"Please note:

The signal will not be muted with active electric bass guitars which have a tip-ring-sleeve tap to activate the power supply."

Errrr, what? I have a Stingray and a G&L Tribute, both of which are active. I'm not sure whether this lead will work with these basses. Can anybody enlighten me, please?

Steve[/quote]

it's telling you that the silent bit won't work with an active bass, and you have two active basses - what's not to to understand ?

there is a switchable Planet Waves jack that works - [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3892"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3892[/url]

[quote name='Paul_C' post='677031' date='Dec 7 2009, 07:19 PM']it's telling you that the silent bit won't work with an active bass, and you have two active basses - what's not to to understand ?

there is a switchable Planet Waves jack that works - [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3892"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3892[/url][/quote]

Two points in reply:

1. Thanks for the link to the switchable Planet Waves lead.

2. Your comment "...what's not to understand? " is a little curt, I feel. I didn't understand the phrase "bass guitars which have a tip-ring-sleeve tap to activate the power supply". That's why I posted the original question.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='677055' date='Dec 7 2009, 07:35 PM']Two points in reply:

1. Thanks for the link to the switchable Planet Waves lead.

2. Your comment "...what's not to understand? " is a little curt, I feel. I didn't understand the phrase "bass guitars which have a tip-ring-sleeve tap to activate the power supply". That's why I posted the original question.

Steve[/quote]

My bass is active and I use a silent neutrik cable with no problems. Perhaps mine doesn't have a tip ring sleeve tap :)

Just thought I'd share some thoughts on the Neutrik Silent plugs.

Works fine with both of my current passive basses, but I've used a couple of active basses, including an Ibanez ATK305, which was temperamental with the R/A version of the plug, because of the reasons outlined above. I also found that the sleeve didn't always disengage when removed from the bass, resulting in a nasty squealing sound from the amp (urghhh, 'orrible :) ). Apparently, Neutrik have redesigned the jack so that the sleeve is better now, but YMMV with active basses.

I've kinda put my Silent cable out to pasture, I'm using a regular Neutrik R/A plug and rely on my tuner for muting.

HTH

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='678925' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:35 AM']Just thought I'd share some thoughts on the Neutrik Silent plugs.

Works fine with both of my current passive basses, but I've used a couple of active basses, including an Ibanez ATK305, which was temperamental with the R/A version of the plug, because of the reasons outlined above. I also found that the sleeve didn't always disengage when removed from the bass, resulting in a nasty squealing sound from the amp (urghhh, 'orrible :) ). Apparently, Neutrik have redesigned the jack so that the sleeve is better now, but YMMV with active basses.

I've kinda put my Silent cable out to pasture, I'm using a regular Neutrik R/A plug and rely on my tuner for muting.

HTH

Ian[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Because it's unclear whether the silent lead will work with my basses, and because the silent lead is £20, I've decided to play safe and go for the bog-standard "noisy" cable. Have to make sure I can get at the mute switch on the amp in that case.