Why become a member? ×

Headphone Amp with Aux In?

Eight

I have to go away for a few days over christmas, and decided to take a bass with me.

What I'd like to find, is a headphone amp with an auxiliary input so I can hear my bass and a track from my netbook in the same cans. Would have to be cheap though... I'll never use it after this trip.

Any ideas? Cheers.

This ( [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/The-EARWIG-ew2-Guitar-Bass-Headphone-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ300372077068QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item45ef922a0c#ht_2035wt_1113"]http://cgi.ebay.com/The-EARWIG-ew2-Guitar-...#ht_2035wt_1113[/url] ) would do exactly what you want. If you contact Earwig direct, they'll sell one to you without needing to go the eBay route.

Also, a surprising number of other toys & gadgets can do this if you look around. The Pandora PXn series ( [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Korg-Pandora-P4XD_W0QQitemZ250539042986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3a554a68aa)"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Korg-Pandora-P4XD_W0...item3a554a68aa)[/url] springs to mind, for example.

Don't think of this as a one-off, disposable item. Once you've had one of these things, you can find endless excuses to keep using them. :)

Cool - thanks for the tips Jack.

I have endless amounts of toys in my [s]dining room[/s] studio, so don't really need anything fancy and probably won't use it much after christmas...

But you're right in one respect, I'll find some way to justify the purchase. :)

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='675834' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:33 PM']Vox AmPlug? About £35 to £40. Sounds great too, you'll always wanna use it for practice. I don't use my rigs at home anymore, I just use that little gaget.[/quote]
Oh. I never realised they had an aux in - and i think one of my local shops sells them. Great idea, cheers.

[quote name='Eight' post='679537' date='Dec 9 2009, 08:56 PM']Ack. Like completely useless rotten or just not-something-you'd-really-want-to-use-very-often rotten?[/quote]
For me... completely useless rotten.

Reading your OP again, you say it is something you need for a few days. I suppose the Amplug would be OK for a stop-gap, but if you were going to use it frequently in future, I'd definitely give it a miss. I tried it with my P, J and fretless P and they all sounded the same! Just a fizzy, hollow, lifeless [i]PHHHRRRRRTTTTT[/i].

I've had a Pandora PX-4D for a while now which is far better, but has loads of bells and whistles that I don't use. For my needs the simplicity and purity of the Earwig is probably more suited to me, so I've just ordered one of those. If it arrives before Christmas, you're welcome to borrow (or even make an offer for) the Pandora!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='679551' date='Dec 9 2009, 09:07 PM']I suppose the Amplug would be OK for a stop-gap, but if you were going to use it frequently in future, I'd definitely give it a miss.[/quote]
Hmm... well, as much as I'm not after anything amazing, I'd still resent handing over beer tokens for something if its absolutely pish.

[quote]If it arrives before Christmas, you're welcome to borrow (or even make an offer for) the Pandora![/quote]That's mighty kind.

I must admit, I did look at the Pandoras but couldn't quite make my mind up over them. Seemed kinda cool.

Interesting to see such a polarised response. I love my amplug. I use a set of Sennhiser 202 headphones with it, and with my P bass '(79, with 9 month old flats) it sounds thick and fat, but I do keep my tone control rolled all the way down, as I generally find it sounds messy with the tone up on a fender, but that's me.

I did try a pandora, and didn't like all the other stuff on it. Just wanted the sound of my bass, with no crap on it, within seconds.

The secret of the amplug is decent headphones, and setting the gain correctly. YMMV.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='680695' date='Dec 10 2009, 09:34 PM']Aye, tried that. Nice set of Sennheisers, twiddled the knobs... it sounded cobblers. MMDV. :)[/quote]

Ha. The tone definatley is in the ears of the beholder. Guess it just works for me.

Try one if you can, Eight. you may dig it, or think I'm talking complete sh*te.

Edited by Andy Blowers

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='681598' date='Dec 11 2009, 06:46 PM']Ha. The tone definatley is in the ears of the beholder. Guess it just works for me.

Try one if you can, Eight. you may dig it, or think I'm talking complete sh*te.[/quote]
Just noticed you play Ashdowns... I play through an Ashdown head so maybe we have the same bad taste in tone and it'd be fine. :)

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='683021' date='Dec 13 2009, 02:33 PM']Marshall VBA 400 for me now... Sounds even better. The Ashdown cabs are going soon...[/quote]

+1
Just got a VBA400 and VBC4x12 and love em. Stands up to my old SVT in a BIG way, and weighs less!
just wish I could have a second VBC4x12!!!