Why become a member? ×

Yes, iiiiittttssss PANTO time again!!!

doctor_of_the_bass

Allo!

Tonight was opening night for `Dick Whittington And His Cat', at the Key Theatre, Peterborough - we've had two and a half days worth of tech/dress rehearsal and the show went off really well!

Anyone else started yet? (I know mine brother Richard of Out To Play Jazzeth is supplying biblical tones for Toyah Wilcox in Sheffield!).

Ciao!

Nick (not widow tw an key!)

I went to see the local am-dram musical society's xmas show earlier on. They were very good, some excellent singing and hoofing, but let down badly by their pit. The bassist was especially awful, I don't think he managed to put two correct notes side-by-side all night. I wanted to punch the fecker. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='674597' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:29 PM']I went to see the local am-dram musical society's xmas show earlier on. They were very good, some excellent singing and hoofing, but let down badly by their pit. The bassist was especially awful, I don't think he managed to put two correct notes side-by-side all night. I wanted to punch the fecker. :)[/quote]

You should have given him a slap!!!

Oh, forgot to say, I'm also operating a rat on a stick!!! Myself and drummer Martin Wild (Alan Price, Gerry and The Pacemakers, Mike D'Abo etc) have been trying hard to stop our rats being torn to shreds by the kids on the front row!!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='674602' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:39 PM']You should have given him a slap!!!

Oh, forgot to say, I'm also operating a rat on a stick!!! Myself and drummer Martin Wild (Alan Price, Gerry and The Pacemakers, Mike D'Abo etc)[/quote]

Ask Martin about the Drunken MD and the night club residency we did in Rotterdam in the early 80's...
Should give him a few shivers.. :)

Say hello to him from me.....[i think he should remember]

Garry

[quote]Allo!

Tonight was opening night for `Dick Whittington And His Cat', at the Key Theatre, Peterborough - we've had two and a half days worth of tech/dress rehearsal and the show went off really well!

Anyone else started yet? (I know mine brother Richard of Out To Play Jazzeth is supplying biblical tones for Toyah Wilcox in Sheffield!).

Ciao!

Nick (not widow tw an key!)[/quote]

Indeed I am, brother! We're starting on Monday at the Sheffield Lyceum & going through two shows a day until January 10th. Will report more when we get cracking...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='674584' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:13 PM']Allo!

Ciao!

Nick (not widow tw an key!)[/quote]

Hi Nick,

Stealer are playing at the Cherry Tree this Friday 11th December.

If you can't make it, send your old chap along, I'm sure he would enjoy it.

[quote name='lowdown' post='674699' date='Dec 5 2009, 06:12 AM']Ask Martin about the Drunken MD and the night club residency we did in Rotterdam in the early 80's...

Garry[/quote]

Will do Garry! He's such a great player - love him to bits! (in an non-sexy way of course!)

As to how you get to do these shows, I sold my soul to Santa....!

Actually, it all stems from late '87 when my current MD (Steve Hession) saw me playing a JD bass whilst I was a tender 16 year old Saturday boy in the local branch of Music Village (now Digital Village)...he was impressed (modest eh!?) became a mate and then, just as I turned pro in 2001 called me out of the blue to take over bass for his showband when his regular player left to form `Think Floyd'. That gig led onto all the theatre stuff - its something I never really thought about getting into but it has been a complete education as at that time I did not read and was thrown in at the deep end etc. and it now forms a nice part of my yearly income.

Rich! All the best sire!

Nick

[quote name='lowdown' post='674699' date='Dec 5 2009, 06:12 AM']Ask Martin about the Drunken MD and the night club residency we did in Rotterdam in the early 80's...

Garry[/quote]

Hi Garry!

Martin sends you his very best regards - yes, scary story that! He said that he ended up calling his Dad who was on business in Paris following the `alarm clock/bottle/mantlepiece' incident...!

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='677358' date='Dec 7 2009, 11:34 PM']Hi Garry!

Martin sends you his very best regards - yes, scary story that! He said that he ended up calling his Dad who was on business in Paris following the `alarm clock/bottle/mantlepiece' incident...!

Cheers

Nick[/quote]

:)
Yep truly amazing....

Enjoy the Panto.

Garry

Well, ours is shaping up now. The pro ones are always a big job. We've done four 15 hour days to put it together & have done a lot of sitting around during two and a half days of technical rehearsals. Toyah Willcox is very nice & we're into the 'zone' now. Just need to get through the next five weeks now! I'll scan the programme as soon as I get a moment.

Looking like the next step for our crew is a six month tour with Chicago. Watch this space...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz