Why become a member? ×

Flying V bass?

neepheid

[quote name='BassManKev' post='74082' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:44 AM']whats wrong with it?[/quote]

OK

1) Flying Vs have set necks, not bolt on.
2) The neck plate is from a Grabber
3) The neck is probably from a Grabber - if it's genuine at all
4) The pickup looks like the Grabber one - besides, a proper Flying V bass has 2 pickups
5.1) According to all the info I can find, the Flying V bass first came about in 1981
5.2) According to shipping records there were 2 Flying Vs total shipped in 1965, and they would have been guitars, not basses
5.3) The serial number quoted, if indeed it is right more likely belongs to a 1974/5 Grabber [i]if accompanied by a "MADE IN USA" stamp[/i], although God only knows where he dug that number up from - a genuine Grabber would have had the number embossed on the rear of the headstock. I see no sign of it in the supplied photo.

All in all, it looks like a butchered Grabber, and it stinks. Unless you want some Grabber spares, then get in there.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='74765' date='Oct 15 2007, 08:10 PM']WOW, just checked out the real thing in the blue book.......... Holy Sh11te....... its gorgeous!

Neeph, you ever played one?[/quote]

No, never played one. I dunno about them or Explorers for that matter; I get a real 80's hair metal feeling from them. Now if you offered me a go on an RD Artist... mmmm :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='75214' date='Oct 16 2007, 07:07 PM']Neeph, is the body an Epiphone Korina? Then maybe a grabber neck?[/quote]

From all the info I can gather, the Epiphone Korina Flying Vs (bass or guitar) had set necks. Again, it was a dual pickup job.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='75275' date='Oct 16 2007, 09:36 PM']Yep - my Epi Flying V bass has a set neck and two pickups. It's also up for sale dead cheap if any of you GASsed up guys fancy getting rid of those feeling for approx. 2% of what a vintage Gibson would cost...[/quote]

Is it short scale (30.5")? The info I was looking at suggested it was.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='75279' date='Oct 16 2007, 09:44 PM']Indeed it is.

Some previous owner has carefully removed the words 'Epiphone' and 'Gibson' from it though. I can't imagine why.[/quote]

Snobbery springs to mind.

Things are what they are. I have no problem with Epiphones - I think my EB-3 is gorgeous. In fact, in my youth on my LP Special II g**tar (horrible piece of plywood in the shape of a Les Paul), I took the "GIBSON" truss rod cover off, flipped it round and painted a big Epiphone E on it :)

The only reason I'd want a Gibson EB-3L is if I could get one with the slotted headstock. Now that is something my Epi will never have. But I doubt I'll ever be in a position to justify spending that much on a bass.