Why become a member? ×

Ear level?

Russ

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Big One when I get back to the UK - the idea of a UK-built, lightweight and great-sounding cab really appeals to me. Having said that, I'm used to playing through a 6x10", with two guitarists with Mesas and a drummer who has been known to break Kevlar snare skins, and I've found, in order to hear myself well, I need the bigger cab to have the speakers up nearer my ear level. So, my question is, would the Big One suit me on its own, or would two stacked cabs work better? Also, if I did go with just the one, would elevating the cab off the floor help, and what would the best thing to use for this (ie, not beer crates :) )?

[quote name='Russ' post='672166' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:25 PM']I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Big One when I get back to the UK - the idea of a UK-built, lightweight and great-sounding cab really appeals to me. Having said that, I'm used to playing through a 6x10", with two guitarists with Mesas and a drummer who has been known to break Kevlar snare skins, and I've found, in order to hear myself well, I need the bigger cab to have the speakers up nearer my ear level. So, my question is, would the Big One suit me on its own, or would two stacked cabs work better? Also, if I did go with just the one, would elevating the cab off the floor help, and what would the best thing to use for this (ie, not beer crates :D )?[/quote]
You probably have more gigging experience than me, but your post raises a few questions in my mind.

a) If the on-stage levels are that high, do you wear ear-protection, and if so would in-ear monitors be an option?

b) Is your backline for your benefit, or the main source of bass for the audience?

c) Where is the drummer getting your bass sound from?

Edited by Mottlefeeder

The Big One is a relatively tall cab and the midrange speaker that's the source of all the mids and highs is at the top, plus the off-axis response is very good, so as long you don't stand hard up against the cab you won't have a problem hearing the necessary midrange punch. On a small stage you could elevate it or tilt it upwards if need be.

Beer crates work great for elevating cabs - remember someone has spent a lot of money making them as light and strong as can be because beer is heavy and expensive! (Just as mineral water bottles are actually better than fancy branded hiking water bottles because they have the R&D budget).

If your band is that loud though, I'd want to know more about how your band sets up on stage, how you monitor etc. Too much stage volume usually equals vocal nightmares and messy FOH mixes (though I wouldn't suggest being quiet on stage because that feels too weird).

Alex

Russ,

I always have trouble hearing myself on-stage, even with a Big One, so here's my solution:

[attachment=37571:Barefaced_Stack.jpg]

That's a lightweight decorator's platform, supporting a Big One, supporting a Midget, supporting an Eden WTX500.

For scale, that's an Ashdown 810 on the right.

The Big One on its own is plenty loud enough for any gig that I'll ever play, but the Midget means that I can really hear myself very clearly and of course I can use the Midget by itself for rehearsals and smaller venues.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Yes, we do wear earplugs, and yes, sometimes the backline does have to do the job of the PA, if it's a small venue.

I appreciate your comments about volume, but there's something visceral and energising about playing really loud that you just don't get playing more quietly! :) And I'm not a floppy-fringed 18-year-old... more a slightly grizzled and hairy 37-year-old! I'll definitely be giving the Barefaced stuff a try when I get back to the UK.

You need a Big One and two midgets. Position the midgets one each side underneath the Big One and get them to lift it up (and this is the important bit) [u]evenly[/u], to your ear height. The Big One is quite light so the midgets arms won't get too tired during a gig. You might want to give them ear protection too.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='673006' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:41 AM']Russ,

I always have trouble hearing myself on-stage, even with a Big One, so here's my solution:

[attachment=37571:Barefaced_Stack.jpg]

That's a lightweight decorator's platform, supporting a Big One, supporting a Midget, supporting an Eden WTX500.

For scale, that's an Ashdown 810 on the right.

The Big One on its own is plenty loud enough for any gig that I'll ever play, but the Midget means that I can really hear myself very clearly and of course I can use the Midget by itself for rehearsals and smaller venues.[/quote]

Totally Off-topic but I love that Fender RB Jack.