Why become a member? ×

Hartke Bass Attack VXL pedal

KASH

Just got one, I like my sound bass>amp Jazz into GK1001rb that is, so my intention was only to use it when I wanted a bit of dirt, now...my preferred settings are with the harmonics full on and bite 12o'c, which gives a tube like overdrive kinda sound.

The problem is:

Can't adjust the levels, just wanted to step on it and voila - grit, but no, the difference in volume from the clean sound to the pedal ON is ridiculous, way louder with it on and a huge loss when is OFF, tried to play around with the level knob and amp volume and no luck :)

Also, the bloody EQ is always on! Would plugin it in through the effects out make any difference?...just wanted to be able to use the tone directly from my amp and step on the pedal for some dirt when necessary with no volume changes.

Any advice?

That's a problem with the VXL - no level control linked with the Harmonics. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and love it. I use it with the Shape always on and I use the Harmonics either as an always-on light grit tone, or as a dirt & volume boost for solos/intros, etc. IMO, it's great for both, but IME, the VXL isn't useable as a clean/heavy-dirt pedal.

If Hartke want to sell shed-loads more of these, they'd be clever to address the Harmonics level increase (and a couple of other small things), and bring out a VXL-2.

I know this is of no help to you, other than to confirm that what you're trying to accomplish can't (IMO) be done with one VXL.

Other owners may correct me or disagree, but for me, my VXL is for clean/light grit, and I'm getting another separate pedal (probably an EHX Bass Blogger) for big dirt.

Mark

The pedal has got two buttons, and one turns on the shape circuit, and the other is the general "on" button. Maybe you can find a combination that lets you do the harmonics but not the shape.
Regarding the volume, the VXL is primarily a DI out/preamp thingy, not a fuzzbox. The problem with volume levels happens because the level knob adds to the overall level of the signal. Maybe try to get your desired level by stomping on the "on" button, twiddle the level knob until happy (ooooer), and then use the other stomp button to turn harmonics on and off.
Hope it helps, i've always used mine only for DIing into PA systems.

[quote name='razze06' post='670875' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:18 AM']The pedal has got two buttons, and one turns on the shape circuit, and the other is the general "on" button.[/quote]

Not quite true.

One does turn on the Shape function, and has an associated knob ("Shape") which controls the frequency the Shape function is operating on.

The other only turns on the Harmonics function, with which are associated three control knobs - one controls the amount of dirt ("Harmonics" knob), another controls the mix of clean & effected tone ("Mix" knob), and the last controls the high-end of the tone ("Brite" knob) when the Harmonics function is ON.

All other knobs (Bass, Treble & Level) are active regardless of whether the Harmonics or Shape functions are ON.

[quote name='razze06' post='670875' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:18 AM']Maybe you can find a combination that lets you do the harmonics but not the shape.
Regarding the volume, the VXL is primarily a DI out/preamp thingy, not a fuzzbox. [b][i]The problem with volume levels happens because the level knob adds to the overall level of the signal[/i]. [/b]Maybe try to get your desired level by stomping on the "on" button, twiddle the level knob until happy (ooooer), and then use the other stomp button to turn harmonics on and off.
Hope it helps, i've always used mine only for DIing into PA systems.[/quote]

The bit in bold italics could be a bit misleading - the level knob does control the output level of the VXL, but when you max out both Harmonics and Mix knobs (or even begin to get both past 12 o'clock) when the Harmonics function is ON, the resulting level boost seems to ignore the overall Level knob's position. If you were to set your output level with the Level knob with Harmonics ON, once you turned OFF the Harmonics function, your level will be greatly reduced.

Mark

Can't see that making a difference - the issue is that when you boost the Harmonics, the VXL loses control of its output level. It's an internal thing, that can't be resolved. If you're going to keep it, maybe you'll have to rethink your plans for it?

If you accept using the VXL as a light grit pedal, and have the Harmonics & Mix knobs set to moderate levels, the level boost isn't so drastic, and it's a good pedal for this, IMO. If you also want heavier dirt, another pedal may be the answer?

That's my current plan: to have my VXL as my DI & light-grit pedal, with another pedal for dirtier tones.

Razze, hope I didn't sound harsh :) - just wanted to make sure OP got accurate info.

Mark

You were right in correcting me Phaedrus, no offence taken!

The point I think is that the VXL is a preamp, not an effect pedal. I think you're supposed to dial in a sound you like, and go with it. I agree that it isn't very convenient, but I can't really see a way around it. Which is a shame as the overdriven sound you get is quite good and usable.

Could always buy another amp and AB it.
Or, if you have a passive/active inputs, then AB it with the hartke going into the active input, and the clean going into the passive. That way the preamp in the amp wouldn't boost it too much. Not sure about the whole preamp-into-a-preamp thing. :/

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='670874' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:17 AM']That's a problem with the VXL - no level control linked with the Harmonics. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and love it. I use it with the Shape always on and I use the Harmonics either as an always-on light grit tone, or as a dirt & volume boost for solos/intros, etc. IMO, it's great for both, but IME, the VXL isn't useable as a clean/heavy-dirt pedal.

If Hartke want to sell shed-loads more of these, they'd be clever to address the Harmonics level increase (and a couple of other small things), and bring out a VXL-2.

I know this is of no help to you, other than to confirm that what you're trying to accomplish can't (IMO) be done with one VXL.

Other owners may correct me or disagree, but for me, my VXL is for clean/light grit, and I'm getting another separate pedal (probably an EHX Bass Blogger) for big dirt.

Mark[/quote]

literally, exactly the same!! I run my compressor after mine which does help and makes it useable as a drive channel. Although sometimes still a smidge too much.