Why become a member? ×

6 string custom suggestions

funkypenguin

[quote name='jakesbass' post='74440' date='Oct 15 2007, 09:36 AM']Save up and custom order an Alembic direct from the US. you will never play a better bass in your life (IMO)
Jake[/quote]

Play before you buy is the only way. That's Modulus and Alembic that've been recommended and I would never spend money on either of them myself... again that's just in my experience - maybe there's a modulus or alembic out there with my name on it/them, but none of the ones I've played yet have been worth tuppence of my hard earned cash!!!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='74440' date='Oct 15 2007, 09:36 AM']Save up and custom order an Alembic direct from the US. you will never play a better bass in your life (IMO)
Jake[/quote]

I had an Alembic Mark King and the neck was always on the move, I spent more time setting it up than playing it, so in the end it was sold.
I've just had my Headless 6 made by Jon Shuker, and its brilliant, its the cleanest sounding bass I've ever had. I've got a Sei 6 as well and the Shuke is better than that. I would also say that the Shuke was well over a grand less to have made, and trust me, there is no difference in build quality. They will both be at the next Basschat bash whenever that is ! Then you can all judge for yourself.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Johngh' post='74503' date='Oct 15 2007, 11:18 AM']I had an Alembic Mark King and the neck was always on the move, I spent more time setting it up than playing it, so in the end it was sold.
I've just had my Headless 6 made by Jon Shuker, and its brilliant, its the cleanest sounding bass I've ever had. I've got a Sei 6 as well and the Shuke is better than that. I would also say that the Shuke was well over a grand less to have made, and trust me, there is no difference in build quality. They will both be at the next Basschat bash whenever that is ! Then you can all judge for yourself.[/quote]
I have to say I have never encountered a Shuker but he comes with high recommendation here so I would take that as read. I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your MK. As I said mine is perfect for me, I do agree each to his own
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='74571' date='Oct 15 2007, 01:19 PM']I have to say I have never encountered a Shuker but he comes with high recommendation here so I would take that as read. I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your MK. As I said mine is perfect for me, I do agree each to his own
Jake[/quote]

I agree, at the end of the day the instrument has to feel good to us personally and we have different sized fingers, hands, arms and...well, this all has a bearing on what we prefer and feel comfortable and then there's all those different kinds of music!!

There is no perfect single the best of the best because of the subjective nature of music and making it but there is a standard of quality and finish and innovation that speaks for itself.

Just some more thoughts as to a balanced and informed approach to opinions...

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='SMART' post='74581' date='Oct 15 2007, 01:46 PM']I agree, at the end of the day the instrument has to feel good to us personally and we have different sized fingers, hands, arms and...well, this all has a bearing on what we prefer and feel comfortable and then there's all those different kinds of music!!

There is no perfect single the best of the best because of the subjective nature of music and making it but there is a standard of quality and finish and innovation that speaks for itself.

Just some more thoughts as to a balanced and informed approach to opinions...

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Here, here. Well said. Exactly right. IMHO. YMMV. Etc. Etc.

Having said all that i've played 2 supposedly exact same basses on the same day in different locations and had the opposite opinion of each. Who's to say why, but it's the reason I wouldn't buy a bass from this particular manufacturer without playing it first. Starts with an F...

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the input (special thanks to dood for all the techincal info,
especially on the pickup front). I dont have the money for a Modulus (although i do like the graphite neck concept) and certainly not for an Alembic (which in my opinion are vastly overpriced for what they are. similar spec to the one below....$7500!!! not including import)

Anyway...

Here is an updated spec. based on info ive recieved. If i go for one it wont be ordered until after christmas (when i have the relevant money in the bank!) and as such im still completely open to input so feel free to recommend alterations to my design. the sound im going for is powerful with an even response right across the bass neck. I am a fan of the musicman crunch but i need the sound to be versatile. I'm really trying to avoid sitations where i end up fighting the bass to get the desired sound! My price limit is £1500 tops

• 6 string deluxe+
• 34 scale
• 24 fret
• Black hardware. One piece Gotoh/Schaller bridge + Gotoh tuners
• 17mm string spacing
• Graphite Nut
• Low Profile Frets
• Tung Wingbass inspired body design
• 7 piece thru-neck – maple + ebony/walnut
• Deep Neck cutaway - Easy high fret access
• Birdseye Maple fretboard
• Walnut body
• Ebony Veneer
• Flame Maple top (going for the 'bleach blonde' look with black hardware
• Satin lacquer (15% gloss)
• Elbow and tummy contours
• Active electronics + E.Q
• Shuker mid spec. pre-amp
• Volume, Pickup Pan, Bass, Mid, Treble, Slapswitch
• Pickups – still not sure. I’m looking at going for 2 double coil pups but EMG or Seymour Duncan? Taking Jon’s (Shuker) advice on that one. I need to be able to remove the crunch without fighting the instrument.

here are a few optional/cosmetic bits and bobs il have included in the (unlikely) event i have any money spare!

• Recessed Dunlop Straplocks
• Ramp
• Continuous Wood Backplates
• Matching headstock Veneer
• Thru-Neck to be invisible from the front
• Inlays on 12th and 24th frets

See what you guys think

All the best! :)

Ben

If you do decide to go for a matched back, then get Jon to use his CNC machine to cut the battery box and control cavity covers from it for a uniform look. Only luthiers that have on can do it as it need <1mm accuracy for the entire length of the cut (not possible by hand), and as Jon has the facility there I really don't know why he doesn't make a bigger thing of it as he keeps putting those bits of black plastic on matched backs!

It may be possible for him to do the same with the ramp, but it may loose it's look as it needs to be sanded more to match the radius of the fingerboard.