Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer Stage 1 Question

carlosfandango

My streamer is a stage I 5 string broadneck from -92. It has barts soap bars and I think it's a Bartolini preamp with volume, pup blend, mid (without centre click) and a dual concentric knob with cut/boost bass and treble. The mid frequency is adjustable via a small potentiometer under the back cover.

The bass sounds great but I recently bought a 4 string with MEC and notes a big difference in the sound. The older has a more "woody" and “middy” tone whilst the 4 string has a more "open" and has a completely different high end (which I like much better. It also has a much high output which screws up using both basses live through the same amp as I need to fiddle around with the gain when switching basses between songs…A luxury problem I know!

Anyway, although I like the sound a lot I was thinking to maybe upgrade the pups or preamp to make it sound more like the newer bass…a more contemporary sound if you like …..any ideas? Are there any typical upgrades that you know of?

all input appreciated. thx!

Edited by carlosfandango

Bartolinis are known for their more warm more mid-range sound so to change to a similar tone that your newer bass exhibits try checking out EMGs or Seymour Duncan Basslines. You'll need to try and match the size of the pickups in the body so I suggest doing your homework thoroughly and getting the best workshop you can to make the switch.

I'm completely biased in this regard (unashamedly!) as their reputation preceeds them in the industry so try the SimS Custom Shop as they could carry out all the work necessary to the highest standards or someone you really know and trust in your part of the UK as SimS are near Ashford in Kent.

Personally, I've alwasy preferred the MEC stuff to Barts on a Warwick !!

As SMART said, find a good repair guy, or you can change pickups yourself if your handy with a soldering iron. Make sure the pickups are the same size, of course. There are numerous pickup manufacturers you can go to, as well as different manufacturers for the eq. If your happy with the MEC's try and track them down. Others on here will know if and where they're available.

Live, I've seen a product called a Tonebone Bassbone (I think) into which you can plug 2 basses to deal with a difference in output. No doubt others on here will have their own solutions to the problem..

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='73423' date='Oct 12 2007, 04:07 PM']The mid frequency is adjustable via a small potentiometer under the back cover.[/quote]

Just a quick ask. Do you know for sure that the trimpot in the back of the Warwick is for mid frequency? You are probably right especially if it just has a single mid knob but the reason that I ask is that on all of the 'W' 4's that I've ever owned, the trimpot is to balance the active output against the passive. Have a quick scan around the cavity and see if there is a second trim pot. If there is you will be able to match the outputs of the two basses.

As for the tonal differences between the basses you're probably already aware that you'd probably never be able to get one tone to sound like the other even if you fitted identical pups and pre. The wood, mass and construction will impart their own stamp on the tone.

If you aren't sorted in the next few weeks I may be able to give you some help. I'm replacing the MEC circuitry in one of my basses for a Demeter, if you want to trial my circuit in your bass I'd 'lend' you the pre and pots. It may give you some insight into whether you like the sound of your pups or if an MEC circuit is for you.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='73735' date='Oct 13 2007, 12:20 PM']Just a quick ask. Do you know for sure that the trimpot in the back of the Warwick is for mid frequency? You are probably right especially if it just has a single mid knob but the reason that I ask is that on all of the 'W' 4's that I've ever owned, the trimpot is to balance the active output against the passive. Have a quick scan around the cavity and see if there is a second trim pot. If there is you will be able to match the outputs of the two basses.

As for the tonal differences between the basses you're probably already aware that you'd probably never be able to get one tone to sound like the other even if you fitted identical pups and pre. The wood, mass and construction will impart their own stamp on the tone.

If you aren't sorted in the next few weeks I may be able to give you some help. I'm replacing the MEC circuitry in one of my basses for a Demeter, if you want to trial my circuit in your bass I'd 'lend' you the pre and pots. It may give you some insight into whether you like the sound of your pups or if an MEC circuit is for you.[/quote]

WOW! That's an offer IO can't refuse. I'm aware of the differnencies but it would be good to try another option to see how it changes the sound. I'm pretty sure that the tri[pot changes the frequency as i actully tried to dial it whilst playing and turning the knob. I'll see if I can find the other pot.

many thanks, very useful info

+1 for all the above advice - I personally prefer the MEC pups and pre in ym Streamer LX5, and my previous Stage 1 5 had MEC standard electronics so it would have been interesting to hear the difference between the two.

Ive agreed to trade my P Bass for a Streamer Stage one 4 string, with stock MEC pickups and pre so im looking forward to getting busy with it!

What top Warwick users! Way to go forum members!

As Robin Hood is apt to say in his second season on BBC1: 'this way my gang!'

Personally love the Warwick Thumb, great natural woody feel, like the wood almost evolved into that bass.

Bit of LED history: old SimS put the LEDs in a certain Mr Bruces signature Warwick Thumb.

[quote name='SMART' post='73887' date='Oct 13 2007, 06:09 PM']What top Warwick users! Way to go forum members!

As Robin Hood is apt to say in his second season on BBC1: 'this way my gang!'

Personally love the Warwick Thumb, great natural woody feel, like the wood almost evolved into that bass.

Bit of LED history: old SimS put the LEDs in a certain Mr Bruces signature Warwick Thumb.[/quote]

Yeah I had a thumb 5 string and I loved the sound. could never really adjust to the body shape and the looooooooooooong neck so I flogged it and regretted it imeadiatly. If I can find a broad neck 5 TN I'd probably couldn't resist it.

Edited by carlosfandango

Yeah, I think the Thumb is the most original design that Warwick have ever produced, can't get my head around the Dolphin, and the other designs except the superb Streamer (ah I remember photographing the delivery of a complete white 5-string, fingerboard 'an all equipped with bright blue SimS Custom L.E.D.s both side and front face, to Stuart Zender when he was still with the mighty Jamiroquai! I'll try and dig out the photos and post them).

But the tragedy of the Streamer is that HPW of Warwick copied the original design for this bass from Stuart Spector at Spector basses which was in turn originally designed for him by Ned Steinberger!). I do believe eventually Stuart (he said he liked the design of my rimmless spectacles when we last met at a NAMM show, nice guy! Always an admirer of good design) got right and proper redress on this awful state of affairs as Warwick made a truck load out of Streamer sales. Then there's the marketing blurb from Warwick. ' The Sound Of Wood', very similar to WALs original marketing blurb, 'WAL - The Sound of Electric Wood'. Make your own minds up on this one!

But the Thumb...that's a Warwick original and a loveeely instrument!

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='74217' date='Oct 14 2007, 05:53 PM']OK ....so had another look in the cavity and....ehhhh...rather embarinsing....all the pots are are marked...ahemm.....MEC....not bartolini....so I guess I have bart pups (yes I checked again.. :)....and a MEC pre.....no potentiometer for adjusting the active passive output/balance though.[/quote]

Ooops :huh:

Is there a preamp block like this?

This is the trimpot in one of my Warwicks.

I was ready for selling my Streamer 6 (early nineties), because the bass wouldn't punch through a noisy mix.

After some brilliant advice from Basschatters, I established that the Barts are great but the electronics are less good. Bought a second hand Aguilar pre-amp and it has just brought the bass to life. Still sounds like it used to ....... but a hundred times better!

Whilst I was doing this, I bought a Musicman 5 (I thought would fix all my "punch" probs), but the Warwick sounds so good, the MM hasn't even been out of it's case!

I had Barts / MEC preamp in my 1990 stage one V.

I put in Nordstrand Big Splits and an Aguilar OBP-3 (thanks OBBM!) and the change was nothing short of revolutionary. It sounds like a Stage One [i]should[/i] sound in my head.

On another note (and since there's so many pre-'97 Stage One owners in this thread):

[b]What strings are we all using?[/b] - I'm currently on GHS Contact Core Super Steels M2500 sets. They're excellent on the EADG, but I'm not 100% happy on the B and looking for improvement.

[b]What strings are we all using?[/b] - I'm currently on GHS Contact Core Super Steels M2500 sets. They're excellent on the EADG, but I'm not 100% happy on the B and looking for improvement.
[/quote]

D'addarios - the 130 B sounds very even to me. I'm a fan of the nickel D'addarios because they still sound bright when they're going "off".

Im using Elixir Nanoweb Light gauge (.40-.100) on my 4 stringers, and Medium's (.45-.130) on my 5 stringers.

The only thing ive found to be a pain in the arris is the lack of a taperwound B String - it is a real struggle to get the Low B string to fit in the bridge peice behind the saddles on my Warwick, but I dont think Elixir make a taperwound B string for the Nanowebs do they?

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='74516' date='Oct 15 2007, 11:49 AM']OK , here it is.....pheew![/quote]

Yep, that little recessed slot surrounded by a blue circle adjusts the active output. You can either use it to set the active and passive volumes to a similar level or if you use your bass in active mode all of the time use it to match the level of your other bass (alternatively assuming both Warwicks have the same trim-pot, adjust them both to get a happy compromise). Watch the front end of your amp can cope with any increase in output (i.e. start from scratch with your input gain) and though it shouldn't distort if turned up, use your ears to check that it isn't too high.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='74718' date='Oct 15 2007, 06:46 PM']Yep, that little recessed slot surrounded by a blue circle adjusts the active output. You can either use it to set the active and passive volumes to a similar level or if you use your bass in active mode all of the time use it to match the level of your other bass (alternatively assuming both Warwicks have the same trim-pot, adjust them both to get a happy compromise). Watch the front end of your amp can cope with any increase in output (i.e. start from scratch with your input gain) and though it shouldn't distort if turned up, use your ears to check that it isn't too high.[/quote]

I have mucked about with the trimpot now and it's defo (to use a young mans speak) a freq range selector. It seems to range from 400-2000K or so - Quite useful actually - I set it quite low (300-400). Maybe someone has upgraded the preamp at some point?

thx anyway!

[quote name='SMART' post='74045' date='Oct 14 2007, 08:43 AM']Yeah, I think the Thumb is the most original design that Warwick have ever produced, can't get my head around the Dolphin, and the other designs except the superb Streamer (ah I remember photographing the delivery of a complete white 5-string, fingerboard 'an all equipped with bright blue SimS Custom L.E.D.s both side and front face, to Stuart Zender when he was still with the mighty Jamiroquai! I'll try and dig out the photos and post them).[/quote]

Love the sound Of Stuart Zender on Emergency On Planet Earth, especially on tracks like Music Of The Wind (the instrumental). So organic, not really punchy or 'big' but so alive! Was that his stock SS1? Or maybe his Fortress?

A guy called Lex has a replica of his white streamer. Incredible bass!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin