Why become a member? ×

oops!... I've gone & bought a Sandberg!

bottomfeed

I'd been looking for a second 5 string to compliment my Stingray 5 for a while now..
After a brief affair with a G&L L2500, which looked beautiful but just didn't really deliver what I was after[i] (not when compared to the Ray...)[/i] ...I met a guy in a music store who was trying out a Fender Jazz...
He had a Sandberg California 5 jazz, natural with a maple board with him. It looked really well made & he let me have a go....

It was a really nice instrument.... :)

Previously, I'd read about Sandbergs a bit & liked the 'Basic' shape from pics at the Bass Merchant.... sweet!

There seemed to be a flurry of Sandbergs appearing for sale here after that.... & I almost went for one...
Bit skint though really, so I played the sensible adult card & avoided temptation...

About this time, I found out from the local dealer (Jam Guitars) that I could order one of my choice & not be committed to buying :brow: :rolleyes:

Some how or other it's happened & I've managed to scrape the dosh together!...

[b]Sandberg Basic 5 in Greenburst with maple board[/b] not too complicated, active/passive... in the same ball park as the Stingray but sufficiently different, a softer, slightly more articulate tone (pics don't really do the finish justice....maybe I'll try & take some better ones later...)

Cool looking bass.
Hows the neck feel?
I was thinking of getting a MM to replace my Lakland but have also been looking at Sandbergs. I tried one (a Cali PM5) a few years ago and it was a very nice bass and i almost got it.
The only thing i dont like about some of them is the lack of dots on the fretboard. Not that i need them but i do like them being there.

Might have one soon. Can i ask how much you paid?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='663793' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:35 PM']Cool looking bass.
Hows the neck feel?
I was thinking of getting a MM to replace my Lakland but have also been looking at Sandbergs. I tried one (a Cali PM5) a few years ago and it was a very nice bass and i almost got it.
The only thing i dont like about some of them is the lack of dots on the fretboard. Not that i need them but i do like them being there.

Might have one soon. Can i ask how much you paid?[/quote]

Well... I thought the lack of dots possibly might pose a problem... (it does have them down the side though...)
but actually no, used it for both gigs last weekend & no problem at all!... in fact the inlays down the side are larger than on my Stingray & what with the Maple board, it was easier to see my way around.. under the flashing lights & all[i] (...my eye's aren't as good as they used to be either!)[/i]

The neck suits me fine.... a little broader as you go up it compared to the Stingray, but me likey! & the feel of it is great!

I paid £1149 for it..... there are much cheaper ones out there, but I wanted the local shop after-care & that specific colour combination... (rare to get maple board & unpainted headstock on a basic)

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='663850' date='Nov 24 2009, 03:23 PM']Well... I thought the lack of dots possibly might pose a problem... (it does have them down the side though...)
but actually no, used it for both gigs last weekend & no problem at all!... in fact the inlays down the side are larger than on my Stingray & what with the Maple board, it was easier to see my way around.. under the flashing lights & all[i] (...my eye's aren't as good as they used to be either!)[/i]

I paid £1149 for it..... there are much cheaper ones out there, but I wanted the local shop after-care & that specific colour combination... (rare to get maple board & unpainted headstock on a basic)[/quote]

Nice, thanks.