Why become a member? ×

Anyone played The Peel in Kingston?

KASH

[quote name='KASH' post='656768' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:39 AM']How is it? Sound? the venue in general? We're a London band so we don't think many people from London will come down to see us when they can do it closer to home. Does it pulls a good crowd of locals?[/quote]

We had a gig set there but my old band bottled it. I saw Richie Kotzen there a couple of years ago. Nice venue, good acoustics, great vibe, easy parking. Stage about 3 feet high, reasonably wide. Ash played there a few days ago on their A-Z tour, so even a few years on it can't be that bad!

P

• 2 weeks later...

The Peel is a good venue and they treat bands nicely, but if you

1) want to get paid
2) want to get asked back

you need to put in the hours promoting yourselves and trying to get people down.

It's not that hard to get to - it's a 10 min walk from Norbiton BR and there are buses from Wimbledon, Sutton, etc... that go past or stop very near the venue. It's not in the nicest part of town, but few venues are. Parking is easy too - just find a side street.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='The Funk' post='670106' date='Nov 30 2009, 05:06 PM']Strip club round the back of the venue...[/quote]

............. and you have to go into the strip bar to get to the toilets - terrible layout...........

You've really got to play well in that venue because the lure of someone playing with their 45's in the next bar is very distracting. :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='948455' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:26 PM']............. and you have to go into the strip bar to get to the toilets - terrible layout...........[/quote]
They've changed that, I think, as an avid frequenter of strip ... er, as I noticed when our metal band played there in May. :)

The sound and soundman were good but there wasn't much room to stash our kit while other bands played and punters were thin on the ground. We had trouble shifting our batch of tickets under their sell-these-to-play rules -- but that may be because we have no fans :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mark