Why become a member? ×

Played a Nice Bass Today

Spoombung

Under £300 in a shop in Herne Bay:

Really slim, nicely contoured body in pearl white, and a slim, laminated maple neck. the finish was immaculate. Not so convinced with the sound, however, but now I'd like to investigate the fretless model - which apparently has a ebonol board.

Anyone know who stocks them in the London area?

[quote name='Spoombung' post='656330' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:07 PM']Under £300 in a shop in Herne Bay:

Really slim, nicely contoured body in pearl white, and a slim, laminated maple neck. the finish was immaculate. Not so convinced with the sound, however, but now I'd like to investigate the fretless model - which apparently has a ebonol board.

Anyone know who stocks them in the London area?[/quote]

Hmm, interesting. I have an Ibanez SR500 which is a joy to play, but the tone of the woods used is dark - mahogany body with bubinga/wenge neck and rosewood fretboard. I replaced the Bartolini MK1 pups and pre with passive Nordstrand Big Singles which really helped (after a bit of jazz growl) but I still think maybe I'd be better off with a bit of maple in there. How was the top end tone on this, especially acoustically?

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='657045' date='Nov 17 2009, 02:46 PM']Hmm, interesting. I have an Ibanez SR500 which is a joy to play, but the tone of the woods used is dark - mahogany body with bubinga/wenge neck and rosewood fretboard. I replaced the Bartolini MK1 pups and pre with passive Nordstrand Big Singles which really helped (after a bit of jazz growl) but I still think maybe I'd be better off with a bit of maple in there. How was the top end tone on this, especially acoustically?[/quote]

There was nothing particularly distinguished about the sound. They had another model Ibanez in the shop (I think it was one of these:

that had MM style pickups and that bass really did sound very biting and active next to the white bass.

Edited by Spoombung

I have an SR300 in Sparkle Red (well that's how it's described) with rosewood board.
The sound is a little wanting sometimes but for the price I shouldn't really grumble.
The body is brilliant for me. Light and thin - a bit like myself.
Got mine for about £235 in north devon. I wanted blue with a maple fretboard because I'm fickle like that.