Why become a member? ×

Why is it.....?

Beedster

... that when a vintage Precision comes up, it's often being sold by a 0 feedback ebayer who's also registered as a business seller? Why would new ebayers need, or even think, to register as such? Perhaps 'business seller' status provides them with better safeguards for their upcoming con?
God I'm geting cynical!
Chris
PS once again Free postage as well...?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-1957_W0QQitemZ230179602942QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='bassaussie' post='71414' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:43 AM']Beedster, check out the Wal that's just been put up, and compare the ads. I was struck by the similiarity.[/quote]

Ah, good old Aberdeen! Yes, they look pretty much identical don't they? Shame, that 57 Precision would have been about 10 miles form me, if it had existed!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='71416' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:47 AM']Ah, good old Aberdeen! Yes, they look pretty much identical don't they? Shame, that 57 Precision would have been about 10 miles form me, if it had existed!
Chris[/quote]

Well, I guess it's always worth an email, but it doesn't look likely.

That bass is way too clean to be a genuine '57, so it's got to be one of the reissues.

If it's got a neck date of 04/25/57 the guys been busy with his John Bull printing kit!

Edit* Just checked the provide.net site, and it seems that in 57 Fender were only pencilling in the month and year on the the necks.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='paul, the' post='71712' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:49 PM']He hasn't got any feedback (as mentioned). I'd have trouble giving more than £4 to someone without feedback, regardless of what's being sold.

Why do you acknowledge these basses Chris?[/quote]

Keeps me off the streets! You never know, one day therell be the genuine '57 that no one will touch 'cos they all think it's a con! This guy's 10 miles away so if he replies I'm going!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='71714' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:52 PM']Keeps me off the streets! You never know, one day therell be the genuine '57 that no one will touch 'cos they all think it's a con! This guy's 10 miles away so if he replies I'm going!
Chris[/quote]

I think it's a bit further than 10 miles from Canterbury to Ashford, Middlesex. :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='71764' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:27 PM']Someone here (99ster?) got a really nice 66 Jazz cheap off evil - probably cos most potential bidders thought it was a scam.[/quote]

A [b]1960[/b] Jazz actually...
:)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1615"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1615[/url]
It was a calculated gamble...
But it's taken a huge amount of work & effort & expense to get it restored faithfully! And it's not finished yet.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='Beedster' post='71714' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:52 PM']Keeps me off the streets! You never know, one day therell be the genuine '57 that no one will touch 'cos they all think it's a con! This guy's 10 miles away so if he replies I'm going!
Chris[/quote]

If the guy lived next door and doesn't mind letting me at it with a screw driver set whilst he completes a polygraph test then fair enough.

[quote name='obbm' post='71716' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:58 PM']I think it's a bit further than 10 miles from Canterbury to Ashford, Middlesex. :)[/quote]

The ebay distance thing can be dodgy sometimes. Often when it says it's 50 miles away it's actually 75.

[quote name='99ster' post='71782' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:42 PM']But it's taken a huge amount of work & effort & expense to get it restored faithfully! And it's not finished yet.[/quote]

Are you keeping track of the cost Jim?

[quote name='paul, the' post='71818' date='Oct 9 2007, 08:43 PM']Are you keeping track of the cost Jim?[/quote]

There isn't 'a budget' for the restoration - whatever it costs to get it done right.
The only thing I baulked at buying was an original set of stack knobs & pots (the only original part I'm missing) - they went for $2,500 on eBay. :) That was just too much!!

[quote name='99ster' post='71917' date='Oct 9 2007, 11:42 PM']There isn't 'a budget' for the restoration - whatever it costs to get it done right.
The only thing I baulked at buying was an original set of stack knobs & pots (the only original part I'm missing) - they went for $2,500 on eBay. :) That was just too much!![/quote]

Sounds like a wise blind eye to me :huh:

[quote name='99ster' post='71917' date='Oct 9 2007, 11:42 PM']There isn't 'a budget' for the restoration - whatever it costs to get it done right.
The only thing I baulked at buying was an original set of stack knobs & pots (the only original part I'm missing) - they went for $2,500 on eBay. :) That was just too much!![/quote]

I've often wondered how difficult it would be to find those pots from different sources. My understanding of Fender (as in Leo) was that he always tried to use off-the-shelf parts, so I would assume the pots he chose to use were pots that were available for other purposes. If that's the case, then they must be floating around somewhere.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='71983' date='Oct 10 2007, 07:44 AM']I've often wondered how difficult it would be to find those pots from different sources. My understanding of Fender (as in Leo) was that he always tried to use off-the-shelf parts, so I would assume the pots he chose to use were pots that were available for other purposes. If that's the case, then they must be floating around somewhere.[/quote]

Fair point.
Chris

[quote name='bassaussie' post='71983' date='Oct 10 2007, 07:44 AM']I've often wondered how difficult it would be to find those pots from different sources. My understanding of Fender (as in Leo) was that he always tried to use off-the-shelf parts, so I would assume the pots he chose to use were pots that were available for other purposes. If that's the case, then they must be floating around somewhere.[/quote]

How difficult? Very difficult, if not impossible to find ORIGINAL parts for a 'stack knob' Jazz controls. The stack knobs, stack pots & control plate were only used on the very earliest Jazz basses for less than 2 years - they weren't used on other Fenders. It's not like looking for the pots for a Precison from the early 60's (and this will be why Leo stopped using stack knobs on the Jazz - because he always preferred to use cheaper inter-changeable parts where possible). That's why a complete set can command that sort of price (& that was the final price after a huge number of bids & bidders) because they are so incredibly rare.

Unless anyone here can find some for me?
:)

So I've sourced exact re-issue replacements parts, even including hand-made wax/paper caps & vintage wiring, that will be identical to the originals...

Edited by 99ster