Why become a member? ×

SOLD

jude_b

[b][/b][i][/i]NOW SOLD - PLEASE REMOVE

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to be Ray Brown and double bass is probably not for me.

I bought this 3/4 Andreas Zeller bass last January for around £1100. Much to my shame this was around the time my partner and I were expecting our first daughter. I don't know if this was a case of some last minute recklessness, but there you go.

Since the bass arrived, I just haven't had a chance to get to grips with it. I think I really need lessons and an hour a day's practice much as I did when I was a youngster going through piano grades. Moreover, I can't see myself getting a chance to dedicate serious time to it for several years. It's hard enough trying to keep some kind of technique together on the electric bass and the piano, and I've been playing both of those for donkey's years.

I think I'm going to the conclusion that I'd be better of selling it now whilst it's in mint condition than leaving it to fester in the corner. If I get the urge to learn again in a few years than I can get another DB then.

I'd ideally like somewhere near the £900 mark for it as it's (in effect) eleven months old and hardly been used. I'd also be looking for someone to pick it up, unless they live in the vicinity of Bristol, in which case I'm happy to deliver.

I'll also throw in the stand, a french bow (with rosin) and some starter books - these add up to around £100. No case or gig bag, I'm afraid.

If anyone can convince me that it's worth sticking with the double bass, then I'll take their advice seriously. But I've thought about how many hours I've devoted to learning the electric bass and the piano and I just don't see how I can do it!

If anyone's interested, please give me a shout.

Edited by jude_b

Last bump before it goes on eBay at the weekend.

Some interest but nothing firm as yet and I do need to get shut sooner rather than later.

Would settle for £800 or trade for a Stingray 4/5, Warwick (Streamer) or a good quality Precision. I think it would be asking to too much for a Sandberg California JM4.

Edited by jude_b

[quote name='jude_b' post='673763' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:17 PM']Last bump before it goes on eBay at the weekend.

Some interest but nothing firm as yet and I do need to get shut sooner rather than later.

Would settle for £800 or trade for a Stingray 4/5, Warwick (Streamer) or a good quality Precision. I think it would be asking to too much for a Sandberg California JM4.

All[/quote]

How about a Sandberg Cali JM5?!

Just to add my 2 pence worth, as you did ask about keeping it.
Unless you are desperate for the money, I'd try and stick with it for a little while longer. It's so worth it in the end. I bought one in May, shoved some small stickers on the fret board, gave myself just 5 mins a day getting to know the fretboard and looked at some technique vids on you tube . Last of all a DB in the house is a great talking point, interesting piece of furniture and people think you are a proper musician!! :) ....little do they know.

I think you may well be right over the long run and I'm probably being a bit impatient. However, I've got quite a few piano pieces I want to learn, plus trying to keep on top of electric playing, so something's got to give. I think I was deluding myself that I'd have sufficient time to devote to it when I bought it - it was a bit of a rash purchase.

I'd also rather get rid of it before my now crawling daughter decides to use it as a climbing frame/artist's canvas/teether.

I also find it frustrating having it in the house when I can't play it. I agree that it is an interesting piece of furniture - although I suspect upright players are still probably the butt of the orchestra's jokes, after the percussionist, of course.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='675822' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:21 PM']Just to add my 2 pence worth, as you did ask about keeping it.
Unless you are desperate for the money, I'd try and stick with it for a little while longer. It's so worth it in the end. I bought one in May, shoved some small stickers on the fret board, gave myself just 5 mins a day getting to know the fretboard and looked at some technique vids on you tube . Last of all a DB in the house is a great talking point, interesting piece of furniture and people think you are a proper musician!! :) ....little do they know.[/quote]

[quote name='jude_b' post='676222' date='Dec 6 2009, 10:17 PM']I agree that it is an interesting piece of furniture - although I suspect upright players are still probably the butt of the orchestra's jokes, after the percussionist, of course.[/quote]

Viola players are the butt of orchestral jokes.

I've had some PM'd interest in trades for this - thanks to those individuals. However, it's gone a little quiet and I need to get a move on with offloading this and have therefore gone down the eBay route. Link is attached below if anyone is interested/looking for a stocking filler/had a few too many and feeling adventurous.

[u]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Andreas-Zeller-3-4-Double-Bass_W0QQitemZ180445634520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item2a0365dfd8[/u]

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been able to shift this on eBay with a £750 reserve and will therefore take off the market for now.

Would still trade for a Stingray 4/5, Sandberg Cali JM 4/5 or a mid-range Warwick, where the second hand price would be in the range £600-£800, if this could work for both sides.

But won't bump until I decide to go for a full sale again.

Have a good Christmas!