Why become a member? ×

New Bass

jynxterstu

Hi All
I have only been playing since Jan this year on a basic starter kit, I have upgraded my amp ( hartke 60w ) and am now looking to upgrade my bass. Just to put some perspective on this question I am never expecting to be evan a very good player; hoping at best to be average. i will be playing rock / metal kind of stuff eventually..
I have been looking and liked the feel of a Cort C4 ( i think that was the model ) and a Yamaha 270, could you give me some advice on these basses and some possible advice on other options. Just to add i will have a budget of around £300.

Thanks Jynxter

Edited by jynxterstu

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-SRX-500-Active-4-string-Bass_W0QQitemZ290363522855QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item439b03bf27"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-SRX-500-Activ...=item439b03bf27[/url]

The rule is..... it doesn't matter who made it or where it was made, if it feels, sounds and looks cool for you, it's your bass.

Nothing wrong with Cort or Yamaha, nice basses. For rock and metal I would argue that Ibanez basses are really good, but you can't go wrong with a nice Jazz or Precision.

If I was in your position, I'd be looking seriously at the Fernandes in a link above.

[quote name='jynxterstu' post='648848' date='Nov 8 2009, 03:30 PM']hi There just a quick question are Fender squire jazz basses and squire jazz basses the one and the same ?

Jynxter[/quote]

Squier are Fender's 'cheap' brand but some of them are amazing, the Vintage Modified Jazz bass is one of the best Jazzes I've ever played and you can get those second hand for £160.

Take your time....don't rush into buying anything.....and go to shop and try everything around your price range. An experienced bass player can take the chance on buying online etc because he/she knows what they're looking for, but for someone who's unsure what they want, buying before trying is more dangerous, you might end up with a bass you don't like.

If there's a shop near you that you can get to to try stuff, do that before you do anything else. There's a lot of players here who can give you good advice on models and makes to look out for, but at the end of the day it's your choice, so take your time.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='648963' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:16 PM']It could be a Standard, Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified, Affinity or many other ranges, can you find out what type of Squier it is?[/quote]

...and that makes a big difference to whether you're getting a reasonable or a great bass.

thanks again rayman, wise words indeed, i am cuurentl doing the shop rounds getting a feel for what is out there. i do get a bit worried as i am not really playing that well but what the hell,i can still get the feel for them......... some how though they all seem out of tune ;-)
thanks will take my time. that Squire went for £86 though nearly pressed the bid button...

jynxter