Why become a member? ×

Refinishing my Jazz basses.

Dread Bass

I have two jazz copies that i am planning on refinishing, a fretted and a fretless. They rarely get played and i want a challenge. I want to do one white with all black hardware and one black with all black hardware. Not sure which way round yet.

The first bass is a Johnson fretless in Sunburst I am going to start stripping it tomorrow. I plan to sand it down using an orbital sander right to the wood. I will then use a grain filler, a pray on finish and a spray on clear coat.

The second bass i already refinished once a few years ago. I refinished it with danish oil but have always regretted it. Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the finish? can it be done?

Votes for which should be which colour would be cool.

I am just finishing a precision off, and i did as you did using grain filler, primer colour and lacquer.
What you need to add to that is some sort of sanding sealer, there is a link here to a guy who uses pva adhesive.
[url="http://kmguitars.com/Body%20Prep%20_%20finishing.pdf"]http://kmguitars.com/Body%20Prep%20_%20finishing.pdf[/url]

If you dont add that step you will find [as I did to my cost] if there are any joins in the wood, the paint tends to sink in along the join lines over time, and a line will appear in the paint.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I found when refinishing a Telecaster Guitar that i had to lightly run a blow torch over the Laquer finish and scrape it off with a razor blade as it was seriously gumming up my Orbital Sanding Paper, never did finish that project! its still in a gig bag at my parents house..... Although reading this has inspired me to dig it back out and finish it!

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='662296' date='Nov 23 2009, 12:27 AM']I found when refinishing a Telecaster Guitar that i had to lightly run a blow torch over the Laquer finish and scrape it off with a razor blade as it was seriously gumming up my Orbital Sanding Paper, never did finish that project! its still in a gig bag at my parents house..... Although reading this has inspired me to dig it back out and finish it![/quote]

Try some Nitromors! :)