Why become a member? ×

The Duck & Drake Leeds

artisan

my band has at last shaken of it's mothballs & decided to do a gig (passes out with shock)
it's this friday btw.
has anyone of you played there ?
if so what's it like ?
will we need body armour or even body guards ?
or is it ok ?

cheers.
btw if you're doing nowt on friday & like a bit of blues (played by a bunch of crusty old bastards) why not come along & buy me a pint.
cheers.

Played it last Friday and we had a cracking night with a great crowd who really seemed to enjoy the music ( approx 20 ladies on a hen night called in just as we were starting our second set....marvellous :) )

Not quite in the best part of Leeds but load in etc is the easiest I have ever done with barely 4 paces from car to stage area back door ( had to move car after load in a bit down the street as parking space quite restricted so we only had space down the side of pub to park 3 cars )

The owners also own the Blues Bar in Harrogate so always chance of getting gigs there if you go down well

Tony

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='645619' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:40 PM']Played it last Friday and we had a cracking night with a great crowd who really seemed to enjoy the music ( approx 20 ladies on a hen night called in just as we were starting our second set....marvellous :) )

Not quite in the best part of Leeds but load in etc is the easiest I have ever done with barely 4 paces from car to stage area back door ( had to move car after load in a bit down the street as parking space quite restricted so we only had space down the side of pub to park 3 cars )

The owners also own the Blues Bar in Harrogate so always chance of getting gigs there if you go down well

Tony[/quote]

cheers Tony,good to know i'll probably survive the gig :rolleyes:
we've played the blue bar & the worlds end many times over the years & got to know Simon quite well.
cheers

The Duck and Drake is a great little venue! I've played there a couple of times. Is it Nige who booked you?

The Sunday gig in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=7919&view=findpost&p=467195"]this post in the "How was your gig last night thread"[/url] is the Duck and Drake.

I've played it a few times in the past and always found that it was a good gig. Never seen it quiet either!

Might be able to make it down to see you aswell, as my plans have fallen through for friday - my friend's big band were gigging, but it's been cancelled so I've been looking for something interesting to do so I don't waste a friday when I've got no gigs to play or worry about all weekend!

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='646483' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:36 PM']I've played it a few times in the past and always found that it was a good gig. Never seen it quiet either!

Might be able to make it down to see you aswell, as my plans have fallen through for friday - my friend's big band were gigging, but it's been cancelled so I've been looking for something interesting to do so I don't waste a friday when I've got no gigs to play or worry about all weekend![/quote]

good man,it's nice to know it's a decent venue as it's always a bib worrying when you know nothing of the place.
if you make it give me a shout (you don't really have to buy me a pint btw) & we can have a wee natter.
+ i can give you a few tips on how not to play bass :)

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' post='646419' date='Nov 5 2009, 04:53 PM']cheers for the replies chaps.

looking forward to it now (as long as there's no scrapping)

be nice to see you Phil,if you can make it.

thanks guys[/quote]
I'm out with colleagues from work on a leaving do in Leeds centre, which is why I can't make it tonight to the World's End to see Yorks5stringer's gig (he says, deflecting Kieth's chagrin :brow: ) but the D&D is near to the bus station so I'll try pop in on my way home.

Recent reports have been good, it hasn't been a rough pub for a while.
Despite having played the Blues and Worlds End many times I think my current band will be too loud and heavy for their tastes.
I have to stay in tonight. Apprently the missus thinks cos I've got no gig that she can go out with her mates, leaving me to watch the kids and research what beer I've got left in the house...

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='646964' date='Nov 6 2009, 11:13 AM']Recent reports have been good, it hasn't been a rough pub for a while.
Despite having played the Blues and Worlds End many times I think my current band will be too loud and heavy for their tastes.
I have to stay in tonight. Apprently the missus thinks cos I've got no gig that she can go out with her mates, leaving me to watch the kids and research what beer I've got left in the house...[/quote]

it's a tough old world.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='646942' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:28 AM']I'm out with colleagues from work on a leaving do in Leeds centre, which is why I can't make it tonight to the World's End to see Yorks5stringer's gig (he says, deflecting Kieth's chagrin :brow: ) but the D&D is near to the bus station so I'll try pop in on my way home.[/quote]

good man

what a f***ing farce :rolleyes:

1st off let me appologise to anyone who came to see us at this sh*te hole,here's the story.

we arrived just before 8 o'clock & started setting up.
we noticed that the board outside the pub listed tonights band as "Scapegoat Kelly" which didn't seem too promising.
so we went in & were told to setup which we started to do,when a bloke walked in,came over to us & asked "what's going on i'm Scapegoat Kelly & this is my gig"
we asked the landlord who confirmed it was Kelly's gig not ours,so we rang Simon who ownes this pub & booked us for it.
he was unavailable but the person who answered confirmed it is not our gig as it seems they forgot to tell Kelly they didn't want him to play.
so we unpacked the gear & loaded the cars up at which point it seems Kelly did a dissapeering act.
the landlord seemed to have no idea what was going on either so we jumped into the cars & f***ed off home (after we had a wee barney & our singer tolds us thats it he's quit).
so at the end no gig & now it seams no band either :) .
once again sorry to any who turned up.

& sorry for the bad language too,but i'm in that kind of mood now.
time for a very large G & T.

Edited by artisan

I did turn up but no sign of a band so I left.

Simon owes you an explanation, me thinks.

Funnily enough, we (Joez Cafe) were originally offered tonight's slot but then got asked to make it the 13th. :) Guess I'd better double check now.

Sorry about your bust up. These things do happen from time to time, but surely you're on the same side!

There's been a guy involved with booking bands at the D and D for years , his nose has been put out of joint now Simon's taken over. This guy was notorious for cocking up bookings - 2 bands turn up for the same gig or no band does etc. I've no way of knowing but I wouldn't be surprised if the confusion over this gig is rooted there somewhere.

I've done it loads - the World's End and the Blues Bar too - so I'm looking forward to seeing how Simon's changed things when we play there later this month.

Methinks he's unlikely to mirror the landlady of recent years who wandered over to rebuke a customer walking with a stick who had approached us regarding doing a gig at a venue he was involved in with the charming words -

'Leave my f**king bands alone you f**king crippled c**t or I'll shove your f**king crutch up your bastard arse'.

BTW - careful if you're selling T shirts there. I asked one woman if she wanted to buy one and she said 'I'll 'ave yer trousers , luv , so long as yer cock's in 'em'.