Why become a member? ×

Goodfellow Classic

Edmouk

Hello !

I've decided to part with my Goodfellow Classic as I need some cash for a nice Alembic Spoiler :) .

This early 90s Goodfellow bass must be a Lowden era production.
Front top & back is maple with some dark amber tint varnish. Bolt on neck is maple too (I'm not too sure about the wood used for the body). Fretboard must be rosewood.
Dual action trussrod. 3 band 9V active preamp. Wood covered pickups.
Frets are in perfect condition and neck is well straight. Action is really low.
It is in good condition, some minor dings here and there but nothing really bad.
I only had to replace the battery plate by a home-made plastic plate as it was missing when I got the bass (I'll post pics of the back later this evening).

This bass has its own sound but in order to give an idea, it is really close to that Jaydee bass sound, with a lot of well defined mids and trebbles. But maybe I should post sound clips to give an idea !
More comments about the bass here : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&showtopic=65796"]My Goodfellow bass thread & comments[/url]
The bass is located in France.

I'm asking 500 € for it (price includes shipping+ insurance to UK). It comes with a good gigbag.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be glad to answer. More pics on request.

Thanks for looking. Regards.

Edited by Edmouk

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='645696' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:51 PM']I think the body is a mahogany core with a laminate top & back..[/quote]
You're porbably right, but the bass is so light compared to an Alembic or a Jaydee that both weigh VERY heavy and also use a mahogany core.

[quote name='Edmouk' post='645734' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:30 PM']You're porbably right, but the bass is so light compared to an Alembic or a Jaydee that both weigh VERY heavy and also use a mahogany core.[/quote]

A fine fine instrument! Looks like quilted maple front and rear facings. Mahogany can be very light in weight, depends on the tree!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='646175' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:38 PM']A fine fine instrument! Looks like quilted maple front and rear facings. Mahogany can be very light in weight, depends on the tree![/quote]

Thanks for your comment Nick ! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='700717' date='Jan 4 2010, 06:51 PM']what string spacing is it ? looks like precision

can you give details ?

cheers

T[/quote]

About my bass, string spacing is 10 mm at the nut and 15 mm at the bridge. It's true that the neck reminds of a precision neck it feels more comfortable because it is slimmer.
At the moment, I have replaced the original active preamp with a Spector Tone Pump that adds more bass and trebble, but I'll put back the original one when the bass is sold.
If you have more question, feel free to ask.
Regards.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To whoever the lucky buyer of this bass ends up being - once you get it, scavenge together another couple of hundred quid and take it down to Bernie Goodfellow in Brighton, and get him to drop in the current GB circuit - fits right in with no modifications and will improve the sound and versatility of the bass 100%. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me for being critical but when I sell a bass I always clean and polish it before I take the pics. Because it is light I am interested but would love to see it with all the marks removed so I can better see its condition.

As said, I do not wish to appear rude.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I'll try to find time this weekend to take "cleaner" pics of my bass. I agree that this might helpful to sell my bass as it would appear in a more natural aspect.
However, I took these pics with a flashlight, which gives also a bad lighting on the bass and may add some "virtual scratches". So I'll try to take new pics in daylight if weather allows.

Have a nice weekend.

Edited by Edmouk

• 2 weeks later...