Why become a member? ×

Fill surplus hole

sdgrsr400

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ahpook' post='644950' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:34 AM']put a switch in - it'll cover the hole and you can call it what you like.

"the bass isn't really cutting through"

"hang on, i'll switch the resonance divider parameter loading"

/click/

"cool - that sounds much better"

:)[/quote]

+1 - I call mine the DFA circuit (Does F All).

Useful for uppity guitards...

"Bass is a bit loud mate"

Looks down.. "Sorry, the DFA was on!" click.

Carry on as before.

100% success so far.

Pete.

[quote name='ahpook' post='644950' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:34 AM']put a switch in - it'll cover the hole and you can call it what you like.

"the bass isn't really cutting through"

"hang on, i'll switch the resonance divider parameter loading"

/click/

"cool - that sounds much better"

:)[/quote]

exactly...you may need that hole someday

i put a little plastic cap thingy off of my diy kitchen cabinet left overs..the colour was beige
just a dab of bostik and it sits there...or they do...they covered the holes used for a bridge ashtray on my fender

Edited by mrcrow

As the thread has been revived, I thought I'd let you know what I did (and thanks for everyone's suggestions).

In a local hardware store I got a washing up mop which had an 8mm wood dowel handle:
[attachment=37625:DSC00072.JPG]
I cut off about 25mm from the end, and then put this stub in an electric drill to act as as kind of lathe. Then run the drill and with sandpaper I gradually sanded down the end until it was a snug push fit into the hole, flush to the top. Then I put some wood finishing oil on the plug to seal it and make its colour match the top a little better. Now, from a metre or more away it's not really visible:
[attachment=37626:DSC00073.JPG]
The knobs are new, brushed aluminium ones from Maplin: I think I prefer them to the matt black ones shown above, but I'm still looking for the perfect knob (er, perhaps I should rephrase that... :) ).

Well, interestingly enough, on this Ibanez SR1205 instrument for the 1995 figured maple top/maple body version they offered it with gold hardware, then for the 1996 figured maple top/mahogany body they used black hardware. Here's the respective catalogue images from the Ibanez register:

The other visible change is on the 5pc thru-neck, changing from maple/walnut construction to maple/wenge (f/b remained rosewood).

Personally, I rather like the gold finish, I don't think it looks too bling and suits the light top wood colour. I'll be checking out my options on converting to that look: the tuners are Gotoh so shouldn't be a problem but a new bridge might have to be a non-OE part.