Why become a member? ×

VERY long instrument & FX Send/Return cables...

Guest mytilini

Guest mytilini

O.K. - your backline rig is about 45 feet (c.15m.) cable distance from you on stage and you're NOT going into a front-of-house mixing desk. You've got some in-line effects between your bass & the amp's input and some additional stomp box effects within the effects loop - what would YOU do...? AM I mad in thinking that the only way to do this is to use non-phantom powered (probably, passive?) D.I. boxes and balanced (mic) cables to get to & from the amp?

[quote name='mytilini' post='642434' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:54 AM']O.K. - your backline rig is about 45 feet (c.15m.) cable distance from you on stage and you're NOT going into a front-of-house mixing desk. You've got some in-line effects between your bass & the amp's input and some additional stomp box effects within the effects loop - what would YOU do...? AM I mad in thinking that the only way to do this is to use non-phantom powered (probably, passive?) D.I. boxes and balanced (mic) cables to get to & from the amp?[/quote]

Is the the scenario you mention a one off and exactly what is that set-up (orchestra/pit work/show/festival)? Surely you can't have many gigs where you are that far from your rig and not using PA/foldback support. On the rare occasion when I'm placed further away from my backline than I'd like, I just set-up the pedals off to the side and ensure I'm close enough to stomp when I need to. :)

Guest mytilini

[quote name='jonthebass' post='642449' date='Nov 1 2009, 12:16 PM']Money no object then this set [url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/radial-sg1-studio-guitar-interface-system--43771"]HERE[/url][/quote]

Thanks for this suggestion - nice idea, but yeah, PRICEY, eh!!!

Guest mytilini

[quote name='alexclaber' post='643445' date='Nov 2 2009, 02:46 PM']An active preamp/DI at the end of each pedal chain is all you need (which can then drive the two long unbalanced runs without signal degradation). But I'd take the stompboxes out of the FX loop to simplify things.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion Alex; so short (Gallien-Krueger's engineering department suggests LESS than 2m.!!!) instrument cable from Send jack, into D.I. box (would passive do - no batteries to run-out?), long balanced (mic) cable to first input of FX chain (connect cold to hot at this end?) and then reverse to go back into the Reurn?

You say you'd take the stompboxes out of the Send/Return loop; are you suggesting keep them all "in-line" into the amp input from the bass? And how long an instrument cable could I run back from the last stompbox to the amp's input...?

Best regards,

Mark.

Guest mytilini

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='642452' date='Nov 1 2009, 12:18 PM']Is the the scenario you mention a one off and exactly what is that set-up (orchestra/pit work/show/festival)? Surely you can't have many gigs where you are that far from your rig and not using PA/foldback support. On the rare occasion when I'm placed further away from my backline than I'd like, I just set-up the pedals off to the side and ensure I'm close enough to stomp when I need to. :)[/quote]

Yep, it is infrequent - but I just don't trust (even with Sommer Spirit cable + Neutrik jack plugs!) instrument cables over 15-18 feet in length....I HATE hum and do have a noisy P-bass single-coil pick-up favourite bass that is susceptible to hum.....what's your experience?

[quote name='mytilini' post='643968' date='Nov 2 2009, 10:44 PM']Thanks for the suggestion Alex; so short (Gallien-Krueger's engineering department suggests LESS than 2m.!!!) instrument cable from Send jack, into D.I. box (would passive do - no batteries to run-out?), long balanced (mic) cable to first input of FX chain (connect cold to hot at this end?) and then reverse to go back into the Reurn?

You say you'd take the stompboxes out of the Send/Return loop; are you suggesting keep them all "in-line" into the amp input from the bass? And how long an instrument cable could I run back from the last stompbox to the amp's input...?[/quote]

I used to routinely run a 30' cable from bass to FX board, TE comp always on at the end of the board (so effectively a constant output impedance preamp) through another 30' cable to the rig. I would forget the balanced cables, stick a preamp pedal with flat-ish response which you can leave always on at the end of the board, put all your other FX in front of it, and then use an unbalanced cable from preamp pedal to amp.

However, if your final pedal on your FX board has a decent buffered bypass then you can forego the additional preamp pedal.

Forget the FX loop, forget balanced cables. Try the simple option, I'll be surprised if it doesn't work well.

Alex

Guest mytilini

[quote name='alexclaber' post='643975' date='Nov 2 2009, 10:52 PM']I used to routinely run a 30' cable from bass to FX board, TE comp always on at the end of the board (so effectively a constant output impedance preamp) through another 30' cable to the rig. I would forget the balanced cables, stick a preamp pedal with flat-ish response which you can leave always on at the end of the board, put all your other FX in front of it, and then use an unbalanced cable from preamp pedal to amp.

However, if your final pedal on your FX board has a decent buffered bypass then you can forego the additional preamp pedal.

Forget the FX loop, forget balanced cables. Try the simple option, I'll be surprised if it doesn't work well.

Alex[/quote]

To be clear, you're saying that I can plug a 30ft. cable from the bass into all my FX in-line (Bassballs, distortion, Graphic EQ, chorus, delay, Aphex Aural Exciter) and then happily run a 30ft.+ long instrument cable from that chain into the input of the amp? I too would have the Aphex on permanently (LOVE that damned thing!) and I'm not sure if I'd want or need a compressor on after the Aphex Exciter (tho am considering Aphex's 1404 Punch Factory, Line 6 ToneCore Constrictor or DigiTech Bass Squeeze) and do away with ANY FX in the Send/Return loop...? That'd be an AMAZING solution...

[quote name='mytilini' post='643970' date='Nov 2 2009, 10:45 PM']Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to keep it cabled...! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Wireless from bass to the start of your effects then a second wireless at the end of your signal to your amp .. Nice and clean.

A brace of fairly med-top end wirelelss units will keep your tone and shouldn't set you back much more than a grand :)

Guest mytilini

[quote name='alexclaber' post='643995' date='Nov 2 2009, 11:13 PM']You'll need to to run a shorter cable from bass to FX board if your bass is passive, especially if it's non-humbucking. If you put the Aphex at the end of the chain that'll happily drive 30'+ of cable to the amp.

99% of the time FX loops shouldn't be used for FX!

Alex[/quote]

THIS, I like and will try - no probs putting Modulation FX "in-line" too - I'd always been told they ought to be in any available Send/Return loop?