Why become a member? ×

Fenderbird Bass Project

Metalmoore

Well this is my second project so far and i thought i might as well make a thread for it now even though its been making some progress for the last few months.

Its going to be very similar to [url="http://www.3dentourage.com/425/fender-bird2.htm"]this[/url] made by Ric5 over at talkbass in the sense that its a fenderbird with a 4 string neck converted into a 5 string so i have asked him for some advice.

The body is being made by our own [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=5085"]shinhoman[/url] using Ric5's fenderbird from above as a template with a ash centre and maple wings with a mighty mite maple P bass neck which will be turned into a 5 string neck with a custom nut with hipshot ultralite tuners and hipshot string tree retainer.
I will be using a Schaller 3D-5 bridge, Schaller strap locks, a pair of Wizard Gems pickups with an Audere preamp most likely the vol,bal,bass,mid,tre combo. ALL hardware will be black.

The finish is most likely going to be a blueburst using manchester guitar techs clear blue nitro cans. I got a guy over in talkbass to make a photoshop of it
[attachment=35317:Thunderbird_bass_2.jpg]

Only things i got left to buy is the PUPS, Preamp, strap locks, the custom nut and paint.

Only problem is the body cant be finished until i finish my jazz bass i am making as i need to work out what string spacing i am comfortable with as the 3D-5 has 16mm spacing but can move left/right 3mm and i am using the 4 string version for the jazz bass and want to make sure with andy at wizard pickups that the GEMS will have proper coverage with the string spacing and until then i cant tell shinhoman what the PUP dimensions will be for him to route into the body. Oh and i have no money to buy the £140 PUPS and $170 for the preamp just yet.

Edited by Metalmoore

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally decided the final specs of this bass.

Body: Custom T-Bird body using a template of ric5's from talkbass [attachment=36743:Bass5_0079.jpg]
Neck: Customized 4 string mighty mite maple P neck made into a 5 string neck with a custom nut
Machineheads: Hipshot ultralites
PUPS: Pair of wizard gems
Bridge: Schaller 3d-5
Finish: Blueburst
Preamp: Audere 3 band
Schaller straplocks

The body is now going to be a mahogany body with ash veneer on the front and back of the bass so i can get the grain i want similar to the mockup. All hardware will be black.
All i gotta buy is PUPS (£140), Paint (£50-65), Preamp (£100-120)), straplocks and get the custom nut. Dont mind the price as long as it feels and sounds as good as the jazz i just made.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='774735' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:06 PM']Well due to the fact i cant get a hold of shinhoman (not been able to for a few months now) it seems it wont be getting made until i can get someone else to make the body for me. But it WILL happen...[/quote]
I'm building a Fenderbird-ish bass ATM. Looking forward to watching this come together :) Why did you go for the Wizards?

hey dude
where did you buy the mighty mite neck from

Lance

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='660195' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:43 PM']I have finally decided the final specs of this bass.

Body: Custom T-Bird body using a template of ric5's from talkbass [attachment=36743:Bass5_0079.jpg]
Neck: Customized 4 string mighty mite maple P neck made into a 5 string neck with a custom nut
Machineheads: Hipshot ultralites
PUPS: Pair of wizard gems
Bridge: Schaller 3d-5
Finish: Blueburst
Preamp: Audere 3 band
Schaller straplocks

The body is now going to be a mahogany body with ash veneer on the front and back of the bass so i can get the grain i want similar to the mockup. All hardware will be black.
All i gotta buy is PUPS (£140), Paint (£50-65), Preamp (£100-120)), straplocks and get the custom nut. Dont mind the price as long as it feels and sounds as good as the jazz i just made.[/quote]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='779253' date='Mar 18 2010, 10:55 PM']Would Ric5 happen to be Jeff Rath?

If so, he gave me the inspiration to mod a tired Rick bolt on copy into a 5 string with GB7 tuners and an EMG DC35 pickup

His stuff is legendary[/quote]

Yeah, seen his ricks and other 425 string conversion and was like this: :)

How did you do it? Got any advice for me? Since you have done the conversion.

• 1 month later...

I have decided to not go on with this any more as I can’t afford to do it in the foreseeable future even though I already have everything apart from the body and electronics. I am already really happy with my jazz bass and by the end of this week I should have an Aria Pro II ZZB Deluxe bass which will be my metal bass and not so sure about a 5 string any more either.

I will keep a note of the URL just in case I do decide to go back to it later.