Why become a member? ×

Slight patchiness on a rosewood fretboard

Cat Burrito

I've always been a maple fretboard user with my instruments but recently I've been coming around to the qualities of rosewood too. I have noticed there is a bit of discolouration on one of my fretboards. I've lemon oiled it but there are still a couple of slightly lighter bits on the fretboard. Being new to rosewood I have to admit I'm stumped. Do I just reapply lemon oil paying attention to the lighter bits? Is it a problem or is there another way of addressing this? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='637404' date='Oct 26 2009, 09:49 PM']Pics?

Im pretty sure most rosewood boards have varying colours all over them, not just one consistent colour.[/quote]

A couple of pics attached. If you notice at the end of the neck there is a section that is lighter and again around the fret markers there is a slight lightening. Any thoughts from the rosewood experts much appreciated.

Take the strings off and have a go at cleaning the fingerboard with naptha (lighter fluid) using cotton pads (the little round makeup pads are great). Sometimes a good clean makes all the difference. Lemon oil just stops the wood from drying out but doesn't clean it.

The amount of dirt and grease which can come off a fingerboard is amazing. The naptha dries out the wood, so put some lemon oil on so the board's shiney, wait 5 minutes or so and then buff to a shine. This removes the excess as well.

[b]Take care when using solvents and wear gloves and eye protection. After using the pads, soak them in water before disposing of them.[/b]