Why become a member? ×

Why do the manufacturers of lined fretless necks insist on putting the side dots between the lines?

Beedster

[quote name='fatback' post='637776' date='Oct 27 2009, 12:07 PM']I think the unspoken message was: there are some things no self-respecting craftsman should ever be asked to do. Luminous, how are ye. :)[/quote]

LOL

Thanks for all the sugestions above guys, original post wasn't really a call for solutions just a rant about the lack of logic in the process.

Chris

• 2 years later...

[b]definitive answer from roger sadowsky himself:-[/b]

[b]i emailed:[/b]
roger

thanks

i just did not think lined fretlesses would have dot position markers on the board and side dot markers not in line with the lines but before the note as on a fretted board

cheers

gareth

he replied:-

Dots on a lined fretless are always the same as a fretted neck.

Roger

so "hear this" to the basschatter that said my lined fretless ray had been de-fretted and was not original factory spec!

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1333381130' post='1600894']
[b]definitive answer from roger sadowsky himself:-[/b]

[b]i emailed:[/b]
roger

thanks

i just did not think lined fretlesses would have dot position markers on the board and side dot markers not in line with the lines but before the note as on a fretted board

cheers

gareth

he replied:-

Dots on a lined fretless are always the same as a fretted neck.

Roger

so "hear this" to the basschatter that said my lined fretless ray had been de-fretted and was not original factory spec!
[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1333381413' post='1600904']
I had a Fender Jazz lined fretless with dots at the lines and not between them.
[/quote]

Um, I'm with Dave Gareth, I think Roger must be talking about Sadowsky's, as despite my rant in the first post, there's loads of fretless basses that have dots on the lines (or where the lines would be). My Ric certainly has, and my recemtly departed Takamine B-10 is the same, as was the case with both my maple fretless Precisions (both 70's originals)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1333381413' post='1600904']
I had a Fender Jazz lined fretless with dots at the lines and not between them.
[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1333382248' post='1600924']
Um, I'm with Dave Gareth, I think Roger must be talking about Sadowsky's, as despite my rant in the first post, there's loads of fretless basses that have dots on the lines (or where the lines would be). My Ric certainly has, and my recemtly departed Takamine B-10 is the same, as was the case with both my maple fretless Precisions (both 70's originals)
[/quote]

i think the point is that either way of positioning the dots is ok and is used by bass makers

I had wrongly assumed that cos a bass had front and side board markers in the same position as a fretted neck, then this must infer that is has been de-fretted rather than being that way from new

here are another thread covering this topic:-

[url="http://fretlessbass.com/viewtopic.php?p=784&sid=5d1023ab801c837cd2897c0654b5b5c7"]http://fretlessbass.com/viewtopic.php?p=784&sid=5d1023ab801c837cd2897c0654b5b5c7[/url]

and here is warmoth giving the buyer a choice-

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/Fretless_lined.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/Fretless_lined.aspx[/url]

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1333384506' post='1600971']
i think the point is that either way of positioning the dots is ok and is used by bass makers ...
[/quote]
Yes, both arrangements are used, so not definitive from Sadowsky unless he's only talking about his own basses.

My Takamine B10 has side dots between the lines and I used to have a Jazz with them on the lines. To me, on the lines makes much more sense but some prefer the other way and anyway, as has been pointed out several times already, it's a cheaper manufacturing process to use the same neck as would be used for a fretted instrument.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1333391826' post='1601104']
Yes, both arrangements are used, so not definitive from Sadowsky unless he's only talking about his own basses.

My Takamine B10 has side dots between the lines and I used to have a Jazz with them on the lines. To me, on the lines makes much more sense but some prefer the other way and anyway, as has been pointed out several times already, it's a cheaper manufacturing process to use the same neck as would be used for a fretted instrument.
[/quote]

Yes roger is just refering to his basses

Hey good to talk again

Edited by gareth