Why become a member? ×

Japnese Fender P 57 alike (85/86 )

Owen

Bass is a Japanese Precision. (Ser number C 016559 which to the best of my knowledge places it in 85/86) . I bought it second hand - it might be a 57 re-issue or something clever along those lines. I have no idea. I'm sure someone will tell me :)

It plays well and feels "right". It is lighter than a light thing. I'm just not a P kinda guy. Condition is fine and dandy for a 21 year old bass. Pics looked WAY better inside my camera's tiny screen. I will get onto some better ones, but it is now bed time.

It has a Wilkinson 4+1 kit on it at the moment. The bridge is swapped for a new bridge and the D string tunes at the bridge after being anchored at the string retainer on the headstock. All could be returned to "normal" with a screwdriver and 10 minutes work (less with an electric one) and a new nut.

£350

Want it you know you do

[attachment=2574:DSCN3478.JPG]
[attachment=2576:DSCN3481.JPG]
[attachment=2575:DSCN3479.JPG]

Edited by owen

[quote name='ped' post='68470' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:55 AM']How tight is the spacing with the Wilkinson 4+1 installed?[/quote]

Spacing is 15/16mm according to my morning eyes with a tape measure. It is not tight as such, easy for fingers/pick.

[quote name='punksoul257' post='68473' date='Oct 2 2007, 01:06 AM']don't get offended, but that bass scares me, it looks like some bugger has squeezed 5 strings onto a 4 string. other then the weird amount of strings it looks nice & fuzzy. Lol. i wish i wasn't so in the red :)[/quote]
[quote name='paul, the' post='68751' date='Oct 2 2007, 05:55 PM']I'm confused. 5 strings/4 strings?[/quote]

Found it. How bizarre.

The gold pg looks great though.

Edited by paul, the

Excuse me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but £550? Am I missing something? dontcarebear's is up at £289, isn't that the same thing?

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='68761' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:31 PM']Excuse me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but £550? Am I missing something? dontcarebear's is up at £289, isn't that the same thing?[/quote]

I assume it's a typo :)

[quote name='Sean' post='68800' date='Oct 2 2007, 08:23 PM']22 ct Gold pickguard, maybe? :)[/quote]

I posted it really late when I was VERY tired. It seemed reasonable. Like all killer recordings done at 3am, they don't look/sound quite as good in the morning!
I think £350 would be fair, but on mature reflection (!) I will hold on to it.

I would hang onto it. The problem with most Fenders - and perhaps most basses above a certain value - is that any modifications, even those that might make it a better bass, reduce the value. It looks to me like you have the best of both worlds there, a five string that can become a four with a couple of hours work (I remember reading an artcile on the 4/5 string kit and it talked about being able to change it all in 10 minutes, which struck me as a little dubious, especially as you have to change the nut). If you did need to sell it for any reason, I'd firstly wait until The Great Precision Glut of '07 dies down, and secondly post pics of it in its original configuration, which will probably appeal to more buyers. I have no idea why, but not many Precision players seem to want 5 strings, which I guess is why Fender don't make many of them, and most of those they do are at the bottom end price-wise.
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='BeLow' post='69278' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:16 PM']This is very scary - but that might have been my bass!

I sold one like it back in the early 90's to a guy who said he wanted to convert it into a 5. I regretted selling it ever since. The only thing that doesn't tally up is the head stock (which was a squire logo and the scratch plate but could easily have been replaced). I don't think I have the serial numbers though. Is the pickup original?[/quote]

Logo seems to be original, I put the new scratchplate on it. The pick up is a replacement. It is very fine and "just works"

• 9 months later...

[quote name='gareth' post='233555' date='Jul 6 2008, 12:47 PM']I think the market for this bass is very limited.

You are looking for someone who wants an "improved" precision ( apologies to Leo Fender), with replaced guard, pup and a strange 5 way bridge with the string tree used to anchor the 5th string.

And all for the bargain price of £350.

Dream on.[/quote]

Thank you for your words of encouragement Gareth. Have I unknowingly upset you in the past?

[quote name='gareth' post='233555' date='Jul 6 2008, 12:47 PM']I think the market for this bass is very limited.

You are looking for someone who wants an "improved" precision ( apologies to Leo Fender), with replaced guard, pup and a strange 5 way bridge with the string tree used to anchor the 5th string.

And all for the bargain price of £350.

Dream on.[/quote]A Jap P bass, with upgrades and the 4+1 kit for £350 is a very fair price.
How much do you think it should be then?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='233721' date='Jul 6 2008, 07:31 PM']A Jap P bass, with upgrades and the 4+1 kit for £350 is a very fair price.
How much do you think it should be then?[/quote]

'bout....................................................... tree fiddy?