Why become a member? ×

EB Musicman Ray v Sterling Ray 34

Jigster

...in my humble opinion, altho there was a glowing report posted about the Sterling Ray 34 by outtoplaybass (i think) who prob knows far more than I ever will, I tried both of these this morning and you can just feel the difference in quality and tone with the Ernie Ball - feel, playability, so superior. (Well about £400 superior as that's pretty much the price differential!!)

- altho I believe the Sterling has the same parts as the Ernie (?) is set up in the US and made in Indonesia they are two VERY different guitars..

Edited by Jigster

I would hope so at that price as well! Sounds like you found a really good MM there. The last couple of new ones I played were half finished dogs, but I recently played Higgie's Ray and really liked it.

For now, Ray-wise, I'm happy with the 34. Putting the Marcus Miller fatbeam 40-100's on it this evening. We'll see how it plays then...

[quote name='Jigster' post='632699' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:22 PM']yeah I was re-reading about the sterling it says its electronics are 'hot rodded' - do u know what that actually means and does reg stingray have the same?[/quote]

I'm not sure. I recall Ed Friedland saying that they were the same MM preamp, identical to the American series basses for the Sterling by MM basses. It sounds just like a Ray with all the snarling top end you expect and now I've got the new DR fatbeam strings on it's immense. Obviously it's never going to have the power of a Status or Sadowsky preamp, but it sounds really nice all the same.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='632705' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:29 PM']I'm not sure. I recall Ed Friedland saying that they were the same MM preamp, identical to the American series basses for the Sterling by MM basses. It sounds just like a Ray with all the snarling top end you expect and now I've got the new DR fatbeam strings on it's immense. Obviously it's never going to have the power of a Status or Sadowsky preamp, but it sounds really nice all the same.[/quote]

We'll have to do a comparison when you're in the area with your Ray 34 Rich. I'll have to get up to Electro and try one out.
I was never a fan of the Subs - purely cosmetic of course but if these are up to G&L Tribby standard.......

[quote name='martthebass' post='632754' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:11 PM']We'll have to do a comparison when you're in the area with your Ray 34 Rich. I'll have to get up to Electro and try one out.
I was never a fan of the Subs - purely cosmetic of course but if these are up to G&L Tribby standard.......[/quote]

Yes, we'll do that for definite! Yes, the quality is amazing and now I've got it set up how I like it, it's even more impressive.

[quote]Musicman20 Posted Today, 08:05 PM
I have to say if it sounds like a MM, thats brilliant.

As much as I steer clear usually from onboard active/preamps as im a passive guy normally, the MM Stingray EQ is so bloody good. Powerful, easy, and reliable.

Hope you are still enjoying it[/quote]

Yes, it nails the Stingray sound completely. What more can I say? Only doing a direct like for like comparison will show how close they really are :)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='634125' date='Oct 23 2009, 07:23 AM']How dare you ?!!??!!! Mm's are perfect in every conceivable way. I'm telling BP on you!! It's not them, it's you that's looking at them wrong. You commie ray hater!!

;-)

ahem. Sorry about that, I couldn't resist. I'm sure those in the know will know lol.[/quote]

Heh! Not a problem - To clarify, the quality on the last couple of new EBMM basses I played was not up to scratch. The necks weren't properly sanded and felt rough and unfinished & the output was sorely lacking. Also, overall sound was hardly sparkling. But that's just two basses in a shop. Previous Stingrays I've played have been lovely straight out of the box. It's that old mass produced variant again! :)