Why become a member? ×

Mark King

Pete Academy

We were having a quiet day at work and, spying my chance on Spotify, put on the 'Level 42' album. Great bit of nostalgia. But it also brought it back to me how great Mark King was and still is.

Their appearance on The Tube, where King did the unaccompanied slap solo, still holds a place in the annals of jaw-dropping bass history. Until then, I'd heard Stanley, Louis Johnson, and Pops Popwell of the Crusaders playing slap bass. King took it to a totally new level (excuse the pun).

The question is: how did he achieve such a great technique in such short a time from picking up the bass? I know he was a great drummer.

Answers on a postcard, please.

[quote name='tombboy' post='631838' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:36 PM'] [/quote]

That's my old Jaydee he's using!

Mark was an extremely gifted youngster, taking up drums at the age of 9 (he is one hell of a drummer) and was also a fantastic guitar player. This fact is often overlooked so combining his very percussive upbringing with a talent on 6 string meant that his phenomenal bass playing was perhaps a foregone conclusion with very little real effort required as he'd learnt his craft on those other instruments. He happened to take slap/pull to the next plateau (read level heheh!) and his speed is incredible - theres only one other person I've seen play like that but he's just imitating the King (wheres' that mirror?!!!) - seriously he put bass on the map for many thousands of fledgling bass cadets back in the day.

He gets a bad press sometimes and I think thats pretty bad considering his talent. To have sold nearly 40 million albums is a testament to him and the rest of the band.

Nick

[quote name='jakesbass' post='631946' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:22 PM']I have no problem with the skill involved and hats off for that, for me there's very little music in it. Thats not to say he isn't a good musician, but the public face does very little for me.[/quote]

I don't understand what your saying here?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='631946' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:22 PM']I have no problem with the skill involved and hats off for that, for me there's very little music in it. Thats not to say he isn't a good musician, but the public face does very little for me.[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from - its more like a drum solo on bass guitar but he made it accesible for most normal `non musos' who (don't forget its 25 years ago!) were like `wow thats a bit flash - blimey, thats someone playing a bass guitar - hows he doing that?!'. Yes, Stan Clarke was doing a similar thing perhaps as were other players but Mark popularised bass guitar, whereas the other greats were more underground if you see what I mean. He is a very melodic player too - listen to the live version of `Foundation and Empire' - he did some fingerstyle runs that would rival Pastorius in terms of content!

[quote name='crez5150' post='631953' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:26 PM']I don't understand what your saying here?[/quote]

I guess it's personal, for me music is less flash and more beauty, as I said I have respect for the ability but the whole vibe of Marks level 42 persona does nothing for me. I have seen some footage of him just jamming stuff and preferred it immensely, so I'm sure there's music in there it's just that the thing that popularised the guy to my taste at least is as unmusical as coal being delivered. That said I have respect for anyone who can achieve that kind of ability in any field (he is undoubtedly a very skillful guy)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='631960' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:30 PM']I can see where you are coming from - its more like a drum solo on bass guitar but he made it accesible for most normal `non musos' who (don't forget its 25 years ago!) were like `wow thats a bit flash - blimey, thats someone playing a bass guitar - hows he doing that?!'. Yes, Stan Clarke was doing a similar thing perhaps as were other players but Mark popularised bass guitar, whereas the other greats were more underground if you see what I mean. He is a very melodic player too - listen to the live version of `Foundation and Empire' - he did some fingerstyle runs that would rival Pastorius in terms of content![/quote]
Indeed, we have that to thank him for.

Plus he sold more JayDees, Statii, Alembics, Pangborns and Trace Elliot than anyone else!

I recall my first serious bass rig, a Trace AH250 head with a 4 x 10 cabinet (and later, an additional 1 x 15 and Brite Box!) back in 87 when I was 16 - my parents never gave me pocket money and I was never ever spoilt as a kid but Dad promised me that if I did well in my O levels I would get something bass related! The local shop `Music Village' where I worked as the Saturday boy stocked some awesome bass gear back then, including Trace and I had the choice between a brand new MusicMan StingRay with a Laney 4 x 10 combo (which was a good amp) or a Trace rig....!

I will never forget the day I got in late from school and the entire house was dark, except for this weird glow coming from the front room and there it was, the AH250 sat atop the 4 x 10 with the UV light on! The sound was incredible - I had my Fender Precision and an Aria Cat active - the Aria had one of those `bass or treble' active knobs and I used to attempt the L42 stuff with that until around mid '88 when I got my first JayDee! Thanks Mum and Dad for all their help (even though it was always `turn that bl++dy thing down' whilst they were trying to enjoy `Bergerac' downstairs!) and to Mark for the influence!

Sad eh?

Nick

happy 51st mark, ill still have to say hes my favourite musician of all time i dont care about how many times people knock hi and his tone and his music i think he is great regardless what i always thought was great about mark was how cool he made it all look so comfortable and relaxed whereas some players like wooten clarke e.t.c. Are like all hunched over their instrument all the time and they dont even sing! Well neither do i but thats a different matter. I just think mark king and level 42 are excellent and easily my favourite band.
Mark king is the reason i started bass playing my dad started because of mark king and all the other brit funk stuff that was around in the early ninetys and got himself a jaydee roadie in the early 1990s a 1980 model with two pickups and passive electronics in tobacco sunburst which he had finished in cherry red and activized if thats a word lol. He then got a series 1 brand new made for him and the roadie got put in the cupboard for a few years. In the meantime my dad bought me a precision bass special which i learnt on later which then got traded in for a jazz and then when i got better he gave me the jaydee and ive studied it hard ever since....love to dad! :)

x

I was well into level 42 many years ago "80S.
At the time i was a singer in a punk/metal band, we were the worst band ever.
The band finished years ago and i"ve no intention of starting again but ironically it seems funny that our drummer is interested in getting back together after 25 years.
I"m tempted but our drummer lives in canada.
what do you think guys and gals

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='631942' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:19 PM']That's my old Jaydee he's using!

Mark was an extremely gifted youngster, taking up drums at the age of 9 (he is one hell of a drummer) and was also a fantastic guitar player. This fact is often overlooked so combining his very percussive upbringing with a talent on 6 string meant that his phenomenal bass playing was perhaps a foregone conclusion with very little real effort required as he'd learnt his craft on those other instruments. He happened to take slap/pull to the next plateau (read level heheh!) and his speed is incredible - theres only one other person I've seen play like that but he's just imitating the King (wheres' that mirror?!!!) - seriously he put bass on the map for many thousands of fledgling bass cadets back in the day.

He gets a bad press sometimes and I think thats pretty bad considering his talent. To have sold nearly 40 million albums is a testament to him and the rest of the band.

Nick[/quote]

Great post!

Mark single-handedly created a nation of 'slap monsters'. Here's a a little story:

I was working in a shop in Stoke in the midst of slap mania. We had one young guy who was King-obsessed = same bass rig, Jaydee slung high up, same gauge strings, gaffer tape on thumb, etc. He came into our shop one Saturday afternoon, looking well-pissed off. We asked him what was up and he said: 'We've just been rehearsing and the band have sacked me...for slapping House Of The Rising Sun.'

Sums up the era for me.

His melodic playing is nice, he deffo has his own style and the melodic basslines on the first few albums always had a certain feel to them, a side often overlooked as poeple wade into his slap style.

I grew up listening to Level 42, it was so accessible, on the radio, TOTP's the tube etc and it opened the doors to a whole world of other players I din't know existed when I was a young bass cadet, I suddenly became aware of the likes of SC, MM and a whole load of other players!
my playing today doesn't reflect his influence as i have lsitened to amny players over the last 30 years, but I do like to wiggle me thumb every now and then and do some wicky wacky triplet lines, there is still something very satisfying about it.

T

I agree, I loved his more melodic stuff, in fact I'm inclined to download an album now to listen to while I get some Uni work done today. My ex ended up with the vinyl, many moons ago.

So what should it be? Running in the Family? In pursuit of Accidents?

You could influence my decision here guys :)