Why become a member? ×

8x10s

cocco

OK it goes like this. I have been very happy with my Ampeg 8x10 for a good while now. However I used a Marshall one saturday night for the first time and I actually thought "f*** me this pisses over my ampeg". Anyone got any thoughts on this? or know of anything thats better again? Please let me know as i am having an identity crisis about this :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='630407' date='Oct 19 2009, 03:07 PM']Figure which speakers are in each. Once the box is good quality, fairly sure sealed 8x10s are much of a muchness. Unless the Marshall is not 4 compartments like the ampeg. Marshall 8x10 I've heard kinda sucked, didn't go lower than a beefy guitar cab.[/quote]

+1, my Trace 810 don't sound as good as my 71 Ampeg did because of the speakers, but my 410 reflex knocks the Trace into a Cocked Hat for an even spread of frequencies and a low that hits you in the gut like a corkscrew and pulls, an 810 is an 810, pretty limited....

Must in be an 8x10..?

Never been a fan of Ampeg speakers but that might be becaue the chassis have been worked hard or aren't that great in the 1st place..

For cabs that size... I'd look at an SWR 8x8..or a Berg NV610, for starters..

Not sure what Aguilar do, but I'd check them out as well..

The best cab I can recall using, of that size, was a MesaB, with a 15, 10 and hi-end units etc etc about the same size as a typical 8x10..

I'd want a cab the size of a 8x10 to be able to handle 1000watts or why bother...

Nah i like my 8x10, i was tempted by a 6 but then i found my Ampeg second hand and it just had to be done. its power handling is fine too, it just feels asif it could have a little bit more of something, then it would be perfect, Im not even sure what that something is. Can anyone recommend speakers to upgrade to? baring in mind it needs to stay a 4ohm cab and i like my tone vintage dirrrty and warm.