Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 100

waldemar

Hi all.

I'm currently looking into getting a new smallish combo for small gigs and/or practice.

I had the opportunity of playing through a Fender Rumble 100 the other week and I must say I was very impressed by both the round sound and decent level of attack that it had.

I've currently got a 20 year old Laney DP15010 (for sale at £120 in the relevant forum) and as much as I love the way it shakes the back of my trousers, the type of music I'm playing at the moment demands something that little bit warmer.

Having played through the Fender and enjoying its sound immensely, it's the obvious choice at the moment. I've also had my eye on the Ashdown range (the Five Fifteen) and the Acoustic B 100, which seems unobtainable in the UK but gets great write-ups.

So, my question is this: before I go for the Fender, is there anything else I should look at for around the £300 mark...?

Thanks for your help and advice.

w./

[quote name='chris_b' post='626547' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:25 PM']What about a Gallien Krueger combo? Then again, what have we got in the For Sale section? You could keep your combo and warm up your tone with an out board pre amp, like a sansamp.[/quote]

Hi Chris.

Yeah, I like my Laney but I was also hoping to shrink the mass of what I'm having to lug about.

If it doesn't sell I'll certainly have a look at the sansamp that you've suggested.

Cheers.

w./

Go for what you like. Fender Rumble don't have the best reputation but if you like it, go for it. I think there are a lot of great products around that price range these days. Cheap combo wise I have an Ampeg that is pretty decent, the Ashdown stuff is fine - there really is a lot out there

[quote name='waldemar' post='626531' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:05 PM']Hi all.

I'm currently looking into getting a new smallish combo for small gigs and/or practice.

I had the opportunity of playing through a Fender Rumble 100 the other week and I must say I was very impressed by both the round sound and decent level of attack that it had.

I've currently got a 20 year old Laney DP15010 (for sale at £120 in the relevant forum) and as much as I love the way it shakes the back of my trousers, the type of music I'm playing at the moment demands something that little bit warmer.

Having played through the Fender and enjoying its sound immensely, it's the obvious choice at the moment. I've also had my eye on the Ashdown range (the Five Fifteen) and the Acoustic B 100, which seems unobtainable in the UK but gets great write-ups.

So, my question is this: before I go for the Fender, is there anything else I should look at for around the £300 mark...?

Thanks for your help and advice.

w./[/quote]

If your planning on small gigs you mght be better off getting a bit more than 100 watts, id have a look at the Ashdown Electric Blue range, 180 watts, nice and warm and well inside the £300 mark, if you start playing bigger gigs its got a DI too

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/37171-ashdown-eb-15-180-evo-ii-180w-1-x-15-.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3717...0w-1-x-15-.html[/url]

[quote name='phatbass787' post='626565' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:36 PM']If your planning on small gigs you mght be better off getting a bit more than 100 watts, id have a look at the Ashdown Electric Blue range, 180 watts, nice and warm and well inside the £300 mark, if you start playing bigger gigs its got a DI too

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/37171-ashdown-eb-15-180-evo-ii-180w-1-x-15-.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3717...0w-1-x-15-.html[/url][/quote]

Wow, just had a look at the 180W Ashdown and was pretty surprised by just how compact it is... Never expected that!

Looks like an excellent alternative. Will trouble my local dealer for a go, I reckon.

Cheers for the link phatbass.

w./

Hi,

I was always skeptical about 100w for gigging but a band that supported us used one and it sounded pretty good.

The gig was the Proud Gallery in Camden so it's a decent sized room. He had it DI'd (not sure if there's one on the amp) but his sound was nice.

What's your budget? If you can stretch it, head and cab will be more versatile in the future.

[quote name='ardi100' post='626665' date='Oct 15 2009, 08:38 AM']....What's your budget? If you can stretch it, head and cab will be more versatile in the future....[/quote]
+1. You can do so much better with (used?) seperates. Can you add an extension cab to your combo and save up for a better head later?

I think you'll find that things have moved on a long way in the last 15 years!! An Aguilar 12" cab or small Neo cab would be a good starting point as an extension cab. In the future, after a seperate amp (Markbass?), you can get a pretty good rig by just adding a second cab.

The Rumble 100s are great, I used to have one and would recommend them.

If you're only going to ever do rehearsals and maybe a gig with a quiet drummer, it'll do fine. But you may be better off thinking of something with a bit more juice. You may not use it now but you will in the future and it will save you losing money in the long run.

See if you can find a s/h Trace Elliot 1x15 - that will cover you for mose situations I reckon. Mine's great for most pub gigs.

[quote name='chris_b' post='626705' date='Oct 15 2009, 09:49 AM']+1. You can do so much better with (used?) seperates. Can you add an extension cab to your combo and save up for a better head later?

I think you'll find that things have moved on a long way in the last 15 years!! An Aguilar 12" cab or small Neo cab would be a good starting point as an extension cab. In the future, after a seperate amp (Markbass?), you can get a pretty good rig by just adding a second cab.[/quote]

Yeah, my combo will take an extra cab, but before we go too crazy - it's something smaller that I'm after! :)

Adding cabs to the DP15010 is the last thing I want to do. Selling it and starting anew with gear half its size is what I'm really after.

[quote]I think you'll find that things have moved on a long way in the last 15 years!![/quote]

It certainly has - another reason to start afresh. The only thing going against that 180W Ashdown (provided I like the way it sounds when i test one) is the lack of an Aux/CD in - might not sound like too much of a big deal but if what I buy doubles up as a practice amp, then I'm well happy.

Looks like it's going to be one of the compact 100's for now...

w./