Why become a member? ×

best sound for price ?

mark54

hey guys

i'm currently running a fender rumble 100 watt .. this is ok for small gigs but i was wondering what was the best equipment for money but without compromising sound

i know you get what you pay for usually but not having a great deal of money for equipment due to stupid things like a morgage and bills that seem to zap my wages i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of:

a) can you put another cab speaker with the fender to increase the volume so maybe i can take the speaker to bigger gigs ?

:rolleyes: if not whats the best equipment thats maybe not so well known that sounds good?

any input is good

cheers

:)

Looking at the specs of the Rumble it would suggest you cant add an extension cab as it runs full output @ 4 ohms and its internal speaker is 4 ohms, so no where to go really. In real terms you probaby want more than 100 watts anyway, what budget do you have if any? The Ashdown Electric Blue range(180 watts) and the MAG range(300 watts) are superb no frills gigging workhorses...

It doesn't look like you can add another speaker to the Rumble as it's already running at 4 ohms.

There's not really a 'best' at any price point as it's all a matter of taste, but if you're looking for value for money you could do a lot worse than look at Peavey.

Something really big and heavy which has had many years of being dragged about and a consequently knackered finish. Keep any eye out for old Peavey rigs in the for sale forum which meet these criteria - usually they're too heavy and cheap to justify posting so you'll need something local.

Alex

excellent advice guys thanks ...

to be honest i wanted c what everyone thought before i went out and purchased something that i might need to change soon down the line .. my fender rumble is ok for pub gigs but we play a club in crawley every 3rd sunday ( just started it) and other than going through the p.a which is not really meant for instruments i wanna stack that can be heard and i was after a few ideas ..

thanks again

will keep an eye out

[quote name='mark54' post='627124' date='Oct 15 2009, 05:23 PM']an as far as money goes well to be honest the least i can spend with out compromising the sound[/quote]

Unfortunately everything compromises the sound to some degree, however much you spend! 200-300W is a good realm to look at because many want more power nowadays - put that through four 10"s, two 12"s or one or two 15"s and you'll sound much better than through your current rig. The bigger the cab, the less power it'll need to play loud and fat.

Alex