Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT PRO 4

crap-shot

Hey guys i have just purchased an ampeg svt pro 4 ment to be a nice very powerful amp jsut wanted to get any advice people might have on it and also to ask about how best to connect it to cab and what cab to have. I was going to get the basic ampeg 4x10 HE cab for now will that work ok ? and how should i connect it up mono bridged or summut else ?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='624745' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:03 AM']I wouldn't run it bridged into a 410HE, too much risk of damage IMO.

Alex[/quote]

+1

i would either get the 410 hlf and add a 115 later, or go for a one cab rig and get ah fridge or the 610hlf.

i believe you can run it bridged into the 610 defiantly the 810.

the pro-4's rule!

andy

[quote name='alexclaber' post='624745' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:03 AM']I wouldn't run it bridged into a 410HE, too much risk of damage IMO.

Alex[/quote]
Alex, do you use your QSC on one channel or bridged? I run mine bridged into either a Glock Double 2x12" (500w @ 4 ohms) or a Tech 6x10" (2100w @ 6 ohms), I'm just very careful with the amps gain.

Ok could some just clarify a few thing for me then, at the minute im going to buy either a 410 HE or 410HF on their own would both of these work fine on their own and im planning on on adding 115 would all of these work together as the 115 and 410HE are 8ohm ahd tye 410HF is a 4 ohm

[quote name='crap-shot' post='630373' date='Oct 19 2009, 02:09 PM']Ok could some just clarify a few thing for me then, at the minute im going to buy either a 410 HE or 410HF on their own would both of these work fine on their own and im planning on on adding 115 would all of these work together as the 115 and 410HE are 8ohm ahd tye 410HF is a 4 ohm[/quote]

well you'll need another 4 ohm cab to use the 410hlf, also by the looks of it meaning you'll only get 600w at 2 ohms as you can't bridge it?, the he be fine at 8 ohms but i dnt think you could bridge the pro 4? as it would might damage it?

andy

• 4 weeks later...

I gather the reason you have chosen an SVT4 pro head is that you want to move some air, have headroom so you dont get distortion & want tone & reliability. I've had one for many years & found that cab choice is so important to give you all the above. You would be mad to just buy a cab & hope it's going to give you the tone your after, so take your head & bass to a good music shop ie,( the Bass Gallery, The Bass Centre, The Bass Merchant etc) that have several suitable cabs so you can actually compare them alongside eachother.
Whilst the head is very versitile, you still need to carefully match up the correct ohmage & wattage output of the cabs with the head. As the head is a bi amp (2 power amps), you should only mono bridge the 2 channels if you are using one really big cab that has the capacity to take some big watts, (1600w peak@ 4 ohms or 1200 watts @ 8 ohms). The head gives many other options of how to run cabs. You can run just one channel with one or two cabs only without damaging the head. However, if you decide to use both channels & multiple cabs ie 1x15, 2x 10's, 4x10's etc then you also have the option of running both channels in ither dual mono full range mode, stereo mode or bi amped mode in ither full range/low freq. or high freq/low freq configeration.

The head spec is:-
2x350w @ 8ohms
2x625w @ 4ohms
2x900w @ 2ohms

This combination works well with the head. 1x15 (8ohm 400w) cab & 4x10 (8ohm 800w) cab.
This combination realy gives you all the options of bi-amping, full range, hi/lo freq or full/low freq.
And take the power.
You can also run 2 x 8ohm cabs through just one channel giving 4ohms

I've tried & owned many verieties of cab over the years with this head, Ampegs, Hartki, Trace Elliot, Warwick, Aguilar, Epifani & Markbass. Some just are not capable of handling the power, but IMO, the most suited combination I have found for sound, power handling, ease of moving around etc are Markbass cabs. These are quite unique in their superb tone, power handling & they are very light which realy makes a big difference too. If you can only afford one cab first, get a 4x10hlf, then idealy get a 1x15hlf so you will be safe with these & give you a full range superb tone & clarity, move plenty of air & handle the power. Personelly I found the ampeg cabs just didn't have the clarity & tonel capacity of the Markbass cabs. You must make your own mind up as to what sound you want but make it an educated choice by trying as many cab options as you can, you'll not regret the effort.