Why become a member? ×

Boing boom bap

JimD

Well, hello groovers.

Here are some shots of this "perhaps it's just me..." fretless.

It began life as a black, fretted Hondo II Precision copy - my brother bought it in 1986. It originally had an ashtray bridge guard. Headstock was sawn down to the telecaster-ish shape at Xmas that year. Pickup was upgraded to a schaller in Easter '87. Bridge is a Schaller 3D (summer '87).

In 1988 mon frere bought a Hohner Jack Bass and decided to rip the frets out of this one, give it various paint jobs and cut down the pickguard. Then nothing happened with it for ages, so I more or less took custody of the bass from that point on and drew in some fret markers some time in '89. For reasons unfathomable now it then lived, stringless, in the shed from 1992 for about 10 years and was eventually "refinished" by moi with this appliqued wrapping paper in 2004. The edges remain scarred from various rattlecan assaults and sanding violations.

[attachment=2523:DSC06398.JPG][attachment=2524:DSC06387.JPG][attachment=2525:DSC06396.JPG]

The body is plywood and weighs a ton and on more than one occasion I have considered routing out the horns from the rear to try and make it less heavy. But...I'll probably never do that really.

It's nice for a bit of oobee-doobee-doo every now and then.

I am intrigued as to what yer all think of this...

JD

[quote name='Machines' post='67233' date='Sep 29 2007, 04:07 AM']Do you ever play it in public ?![/quote]

[quote name='steve' post='67586' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:19 AM']at least no one will steal it[/quote]

You guys are harsh.

I don't think it's that bad [i]per se[/i], it's just a bit unusual.

Wrapping paper? It looks like a bathroom! Cool.