Why become a member? ×

heart-something basses????

Golchen

Many years ago (at least 2 decades) I went to a big music show at the Barbican in London. It was before I'd ever thought about basses, but I remember a company there that had some lovely looking basses. They were quite expensive I believe, and I'm sure that they had the work 'Heart' in their name somewhere. For some reason they have just sprung to mind again, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the company might me? Or who they were if they are no longer around? They weren't particularly trad looking, but neither were they weird shapes, and the finish was quite solid vibrant colours stained into fancy wood grain, with a gloss finish.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I just remember at the time thinking that I'd love one if I could afford it!

The company was originally known as `Heart' Guitars which then became `Heartwood Guitars' (they were hoping to make some instruments for the band `Heart' but for whatever reason, it did not happen and allegedly, the band were not happy that they were using the name `Heart', hence the change to Heartwood. Technically I have one in the collection - it was loaned to a student many years ago and has since gone awol!!! Lovely basses (and guitars) - they were based down south somewhere. If anyone sees a trans-green flamed top maple necked 4 string headless, do let me know!

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='Shockwave' post='622770' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:03 PM']Heartfield? Some sort of connection with Fender i believe.[/quote]

Hmm - might have been them! Heart Guitars would have been likely as they were a small company that would have definitely shown off their wares at such shows.

They (Heartfield) were as you say, part of the Fender corporation and I think those basses had a graphite `layer' that extended out from underneath the fretboard and thus formed the headstock facing!

OP...

Heartfield were Jap produced between '89 + '94 by Fuji Gen Gakki - there were basically licensed Jap Fender copies,and distributed with the Fender network.

Heart/Heartwood, were high quality hand built British between mid and late '80's they renamed Heartwood in 1988 for the last couple of years of production. They were distinctive by heart shaped inlays on fretboard and headstock.

(all from the Blue book)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='622887' date='Oct 11 2009, 09:08 AM']OP...

Heartfield were Jap produced between '89 + '94 by Fuji Gen Gakki - there were basically licensed Jap Fender copies,and distributed with the Fender network.

Heart/Heartwood, were high quality hand built British between mid and late '80's they renamed Heartwood in 1988 for the last couple of years of production. They were distinctive by heart shaped inlays on fretboard and headstock.

(all from the Blue book)[/quote]

Thanks all! There was no Fender association, so I think that it must have been Heart/Heartwood. I can't seem to find pix of any on the net though?? It's really irritating (and also a bad idea marketting-wise) to use a generic word for your company name as it makes it impossible to find.

It was Heartwood guitars. The luthier, Steve Smith I believe, was based in Essex near Southend I think. His old partner was called Dan and is still a repairer thereabouts. You could call PMT in Southend for more info as they would have known all about him. Hope that helps.

• 11 years later...
On 10/10/2009 at 20:10, doctor_of_the_bass said:

The company was originally known as `Heart' Guitars which then became `Heartwood Guitars' (they were hoping to make some instruments for the band `Heart' but for whatever reason, it did not happen and allegedly, the band were not happy that they were using the name `Heart', hence the change to Heartwood. Technically I have one in the collection - it was loaned to a student many years ago and has since gone awol!!! Lovely basses (and guitars) - they were based down south somewhere. If anyone sees a trans-green flamed top maple necked 4 string headless, do let me know!

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick, my dad was the Luthier at Heart and Heartwood.... he and co owner Tony Rossell. Sadly dad passed away in 2015.... I have lots of photos of all the old guitars and basses.... might even have one of yours, Paul.

• Like 2