Why become a member? ×

Vintage Est 96 5 string stingray bass Mods

hookys6stringbass

Just picked up a Vintage Stingray 5 copy this morning.... very pleased with it. The body and neck are superb which is the main thing. Although the strings have seen better days and it needs a good setup I don't think the electrics are up to much.
My question to you Stingray/ copy nutters ( I include myself) is, is there a decent pre amp and pup kit I could just put it with out tooo much hassle that would bring the sound closer to the Stingray sound we all know and love???

Cheers
Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this? I have a 4-string vintage est96 and have been considering a pickup/preamp upgrade. The neck plays beautifully, had it fret-dressed by a luthier and he was very impressed with it. I had a look at the Nordstrand site.... but would it be worth putting a £100 pickup and £150+ preamp in a £170 bass? Perhaps it would, like I say, the neck is great...

If anyone's interested and can get to Warrington there's a Vintage Ray copy with an amp for £50 BIN on eBay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-VINTAGE-BASS-GUITAR-AND-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ170401713557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item27acbbcd95"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-VINTAGE-BAS...=item27acbbcd95[/url]

If i could get there i'd have had it!

The John East Stingray pre-amp is very good. I played a 2 band Stingraray at the Nottingham bass bash fitted with Nordstrands and the East pre-amp, and it sounded virtually identical to my stock 2 band Stingray.

I've actually got the John East 3 band fitted to mine now, and again, its a very nice bit of kit. Essentially sounds like a two band ray with the mids set flat, but with the option of boosting mids if needed. I think Stingrays can be a bit lacking in the low mids, and the East pre-amp is the ideal solution.