Why become a member? ×

Overwater Perception Deluxe 4 (SOLD)

bassatnight

A stunningly beautiful Overwater Perception for sale.

In excellent condition with mighty pups providing a sweet tone or if required a very dark bottom! Comes with hardcase (including the lock keys!)

Looking for £700 price includes courier

Edited by bassatnight

Yes, its been well looked after. Will be sad to see it go but with my recent Sadowsky and Fender Jazz arriving it's not getting the work out it deserves sadly.

Open to reasonable offers.

Cheers,

Steve.

[quote name='NAS' post='620415' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:42 AM']That's a sweet looking instrument - looks to be in great condition. I assume this is the same instrument as mentioned in your other thread?[/quote]

[quote name='Mike' post='620744' date='Oct 8 2009, 04:45 PM']Wow! Looks great. Seems a very good price for an Overwater. What are the controls? And how would you describe the neck depth?(ie precision, jazz etc)[/quote]

This bass used to be mine & I too had to sell it to pay off a Sadowsky credit card bill! :) It is an absolutely stonking bass, great neck & seriously ballsy sound, every bit as good as the pics & description suggest. Also worth mentioning that Steve is a good bloke to deal with & you'll get a hassle free transaction.

I always love to see Basses going back to their former owners as it shows what quality they are in the first place, sorry we couldn't get a trade on Stan.

I really need the money after shelling out recently.

Looks like the rip off E-Bay may be used with their oh so generous charges! :)

The neck is lightning, very fast. More like a good Jazz neck quite slim with a comfortable C shape.

Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
Hardware: OW4 Soapbar, 3 band EQ, Hipshot style A bridge, Gotoh machine heads

As for the controls to be honest I haven't played with them much but I have found a review of the bass and see techie info below:

Common to all the Perception basses are two custom-made soap bar pickups, which are internally fully shielded and hum cancelling with concealed bar pole pieces. To more accurately produce the acoustic character of the instrument, the coils are parallel-wired to give a big open sound. Each of the pickups is managed by an input amplifier stage with its own internal gain preset with a variation of 0 to 10dB, and to prevent crosstalk the blend section is active. The Overwater three-band EQ circuit, originally developed by Chris May and Dennis Cornwell, has recently been upgraded and redesigned by John East of E-Pro. Bass frequency at 40Hz has a cut and boost of 18dB, +/-10dB mid at 1kHz, and for the treble +/-13dB at 4kHz and +/-16dB at 10kHz. There is a bright boost on the pull-up volume switch, which adds 6dB of 5kHz frequency. All of this is governed via three top-hat-shaped controls and a pickup balance, all with positive centre detents as well as the aforementioned pull-up volume control.
A Hipshot Style A is the chosen bridge. This is a weighty affair with deep-milled slots to retain the five saddles, alleviating any sideways movement. Each of the saddles carry a roller at the point of strings contact, three grub screws for height adjustment, as well as the obligatory sprung intonation screw. The backplate is slotted to enable fast, effective string changes.
On the rear is the flip-top compartment housing the single 9V PP3-type battery, as well as access to the electronics. The jack socket is mounted on the body's edge and is of the Switchcraft type that locks the plug in place — pushing a small button releases it. Handy if you're still using a lead, as it can't be yanked out.

[quote name='Mike' post='621335' date='Oct 9 2009, 09:34 AM']Are you able to tell me about the controls & neck please?[/quote]

I have to agree, this is one of the rare basses that I would ordinarily keep for good, they are so well constructed and the range of tones is brilliant but it's up against a new Sadowsky - I don't want to be greedy! ;-)

Your so right about Chris, he gets back to you instantly with any questions.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='621369' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:15 AM']I've got the 5 string Perception and it's quite simply the best bass I've ever played. I'm also pleasantly surprised by what a top bloke Chris May at Overwater is if you have any questions and run into any bother.

In a nutshell - get it bought - you'll be happy :)[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='621367' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:14 AM']The neck is lightning, very fast. More like a good Jazz neck quite slim with a comfortable C shape.

Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
Hardware: OW4 Soapbar, 3 band EQ, Hipshot style A bridge, Gotoh machine heads

As for the controls to be honest I haven't played with them much but I have found a review of the bass and see techie info below:

Common to all the Perception basses are two custom-made soap bar pickups, which are internally fully shielded and hum cancelling with concealed bar pole pieces. To more accurately produce the acoustic character of the instrument, the coils are parallel-wired to give a big open sound. Each of the pickups is managed by an input amplifier stage with its own internal gain preset with a variation of 0 to 10dB, and to prevent crosstalk the blend section is active. The Overwater three-band EQ circuit, originally developed by Chris May and Dennis Cornwell, has recently been upgraded and redesigned by John East of E-Pro. Bass frequency at 40Hz has a cut and boost of 18dB, +/-10dB mid at 1kHz, and for the treble +/-13dB at 4kHz and +/-16dB at 10kHz. There is a bright boost on the pull-up volume switch, which adds 6dB of 5kHz frequency. All of this is governed via three top-hat-shaped controls and a pickup balance, all with positive centre detents as well as the aforementioned pull-up volume control.
A Hipshot Style A is the chosen bridge. This is a weighty affair with deep-milled slots to retain the five saddles, alleviating any sideways movement. Each of the saddles carry a roller at the point of strings contact, three grub screws for height adjustment, as well as the obligatory sprung intonation screw. The backplate is slotted to enable fast, effective string changes.
On the rear is the flip-top compartment housing the single 9V PP3-type battery, as well as access to the electronics. The jack socket is mounted on the body's edge and is of the Switchcraft type that locks the plug in place — pushing a small button releases it. Handy if you're still using a lead, as it can't be yanked out.[/quote]

Just to be pedantic - that's a Style B bridge you have there not a style A. The Perception was (is) made in all sorts of similar-but-different permutations. I'm not sure but is this perhaps one of the slightly older ones with Bartolini pickups? I don't think much else is different though.

Edited by thepurpleblob

Good call, that'll teach me to copy and paste without reading it properly first!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='621383' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:26 AM']Just to be pedantic - that's a Style B bridge you have there not a style A. The Perception was (is) made in all sorts of similar-but-different permutations. I'm not sure but is this perhaps one of the slightly older ones with Bartolini pickups? I don't think much else is different though.[/quote]

Just to add an(other) independent big-up for these basses, I've got a Perception, and it's simply the best all-round bass I've ever had. Wouldn't sell it for the world. They are extraordinary instruments, and Chris is the epitome of customer service. The neck on mine, whilst not as narrow at the nut as a Jazz, is very slim and fast. I couldn't recommend one of these highly enough.

Cheers for the kind comments guys...

[quote name='Muzz' post='621406' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:46 AM']Just to add an(other) independent big-up for these basses, I've got a Perception, and it's simply the best all-round bass I've ever had. Wouldn't sell it for the world. They are extraordinary instruments, and Chris is the epitome of customer service. The neck on mine, whilst not as narrow at the nut as a Jazz, is very slim and fast. I couldn't recommend one of these highly enough.[/quote]

Fraid not, bit out of my way...

[quote name='Mike' post='621609' date='Oct 9 2009, 02:01 PM']I'd love to play this at some point..........don't suppose you're ever travelling through Essex....................?[/quote]

Edited by bassatnight