Why become a member? ×

Epoxy versus original finish on Fender maple fretless neck

Beedster

I'm off to see Martin Simms tomorrow to talk over a refin for my maple board fretless Precision neck. This is a necessity as the original finish has worn to the wood in places. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the following

What finish did Fender use (it's a '77)?
What finishes should I consider?
How would an epoxy finish compare with the original Fender finish tone-wise?
What are the pros and cons of the original Fender finish versus epoxy?

Thanks folks

Chris

Edited by Beedster

I remember a conversation I had with one of the guys at Luthier Supplies about 20 years ago regarding Fender's fretless maple necks. He reckoned they were finished in the standard polyester they did all their other maple necks in but thickened the board itself up a bit with a few extra coats.

Regarding epoxy, you can get different types, (from my experience as an engineer rather than a luthier), and there are softer and harder varieties that'll probably sound quite different (relatively speaking). I tried epoxy on my fretless maple Jazz and it did stop the roundwounds eating into the board but I think I used quite a soft variety and it always felt a bit 'tacky', but presumably a 'harder' variety wouldn't suffer that.

Got a picture BTW? Maple necks sans frets are my favourite.

[quote name='henry norton' post='618934' date='Oct 6 2009, 07:51 PM']I remember a conversation I had with one of the guys at Luthier Supplies about 20 years ago regarding Fender's fretless maple necks. He reckoned they were finished in the standard polyester they did all their other maple necks in but thickened the board itself up a bit with a few extra coats.[/quote]

Yes - I'm pretty sure that's what Pedula use... and looking at the pictures on the HG Thor pictures and the dicolouration it gives on the inlaid fret markings (once the frets have been removed), it seems to *suggest* polyester.

If it was my bass, I would be going with polyester.

I know a few guys who have gone with Mirrorcoat and got good results.

I don't think it's so much about the material that you use... there are lots of good products out there that will get you where you want to be. I think the real skill is in the preperation, the application, the finishing and the final setup.

Like a lot of things in this game, there is a lot of BS surrounding this. Do you think Jaco gave a crap what he covered his fretless neck in? Nah. Do you think that the choice of epoxy was the secret behind his tone? Nup... that would be Jaco.

[quote name='Beedster' post='618956' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:10 PM']Many thanks Henry, I know what you mean about soft epoxy, it can make the bass feel really slow and unresponsive.

A pic or two (phone camera I'm afraid)

[attachment=34088:Fretless_P_1.jpg][attachment=34089:FLP.jpg][/quote]
Ahh yeah! Thanks Mate, you've made my day.

+1 on what EBS says, if it's an original then I'd go for polyester too. You'll need someone to do it if you don't have a waterfall spray booth and air fed mask though - presumably the reason you're going to see Martin. Let us know which way you go and how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Beedster' post='628105' date='Oct 16 2009, 06:08 PM']Many thanks for the advice guys, spent some time with Martin Simms yesterday and Poly it is. Can't wait to get it back
Chris[/quote]
Phew! Definitely the right choice there. Fretless maple is [i]defined[/i] by the smooth, glassy board and I don't think you'll get quite the same feel any other way.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='619363' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:14 AM']Yes - I'm pretty sure that's what Pedula use... and looking at the pictures on the HG Thor pictures and the dicolouration it gives on the inlaid fret markings (once the frets have been removed), it seems to *suggest* polyester.[/quote]

When you speak with Harris when he puts you on the waiting list you discuss what you would like done and the possibilties are staggering.

If you have seen "discolouration" its not! It is what the customer ordered. He can do pretty much any colour lines you want if he is de-fretting as he will dye the wood strips if thats what you want.

the hardest option to remove frets and fill teh lines and make them look like the original fret board, this is beacuse any piece of wood that is used as an infil wil have the grain runing at 90degs to the original fingerboard.

A projocted 18month wait is a bit of a bummer tho'...... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='629293' date='Oct 18 2009, 10:17 AM']When you speak with Harris when he puts you on the waiting list you discuss what you would like done and the possibilties are staggering.

If you have seen "discolouration" its not! It is what the customer ordered. He can do pretty much any colour lines you want if he is de-fretting as he will dye the wood strips if thats what you want.

the hardest option to remove frets and fill teh lines and make them look like the original fret board, this is beacuse any piece of wood that is used as an infil wil have the grain runing at 90degs to the original fingerboard.

A projocted 18month wait is a bit of a bummer tho'...... :)[/quote]

Clearcoat polyester by it's nature is slightly coloured. Put it on a pure, bright white and see what happens... Having said that, polyester is getting quite good and there are manufacturers getting damn close to a true transparent poly.

Looking forward to seeing your Thor neck.... I always thought that the hologram he adds looks kinda cute. I played with the idea of getting a neck done... but the waiting list and ordering blind kinda put me off. I figured the polyester guys I know already would be able to do the job as good. Who knows?!

• 3 months later...