Why become a member? ×

looking into having a seperate cab for my distortion sound

0175westwood29

hi guys im a bit cross about losing bottom end when i kick in an overdrive or distotion, i still want the savage nasty distorted tone but i want a nice rumbling deep bass tone underneath it.

how do you go about setting up this, i know there gonna be a bit of work but im really intrigued and wanna try it out?

i use a svt pro-6 going thru a 610hlf cab and was thinking of adding a loud 210 for the effects and that?

ive googled and cant find any sort of drawing that show how to do it?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='617479' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:42 PM']hi guys im a bit cross about losing bottom end when i kick in an overdrive or distotion, i still want the savage nasty distorted tone but i want a nice rumbling deep bass tone underneath it.

how do you go about setting up this, i know there gonna be a bit of work but im really intrigued and wanna try it out?

i use a svt pro-6 going thru a 610hlf cab and was thinking of adding a loud 210 for the effects and that?

andy[/quote]

Two rigs.

Or 3, the SVT 8x10 cab be run as two 4x10s. Search biamp in the wiki, although for that sorta purpose might not want a crossover, just don't worry about low end loss on our distortion.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='617598' date='Oct 5 2009, 04:10 PM']Two rigs.

Or 3, the SVT 8x10 cab be run as two 4x10s. Search biamp in the wiki, although for that sorta purpose might not want a crossover, just don't worry about low end loss on our distortion.
[/quote]

yeh

sadly i dnt have a 810 or that would be prob solved, but also how do you run them so that your signal is going to both amps?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='617630' date='Oct 5 2009, 04:35 PM']yeh

sadly i dnt have a 810 or that would be prob solved, but also how do you run them so that your signal is going to both amps?

andy[/quote]

I either split using the outputs of a TU2 tuner, or use the paralell out on my sansamp, or some of my basses are stereo wired to have two outputs, one from each pickup.

Other way is running a cable from tuner out, or with amps with multiple inputs you can run a cable as if you were bridging channels, but going between amps.

Surely the easiest way to keep the bottom end when using a pedal is to find one that doesn't lose any bass, or to use a blender to mix some clean bass in there. Or do both.

Of course, it wouldn't be as Doom though. :)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='617698' date='Oct 5 2009, 05:34 PM']thanks man just found a wicked vid that explained it to

time to start looking for a cool little amp. that i can rackmount above my pro 6 :-)

andy[/quote]

A vid? Where? Just asking because I might go down the same road soon :)

[quote name='PauBass' post='618211' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:34 AM']A vid? Where? Just asking because I might go down the same road soon :)[/quote]

well its a video of the bassist from clatter talking bout her rig, which is insane!

here it is

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA[/url]

andy

well i think im going down the route of getting an extra 210 to put my effects thru.

thinking of going with either a trace, eden, ashdown or gk mini rig

gk wise im thinking of the 400rb as im thinking i could pick one up secondhand pretty cheap? or could grab a 700rb and use it as a backup aswell as effects amp?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='618810' date='Oct 6 2009, 05:31 PM']well its a video of the bassist from clatter talking bout her rig, which is insane!

here it is

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA[/url]

andy[/quote]

Very good and informative video...Thanks!

Edited by PauBass

Depends what sort of sound you want really. The whammy sounds really digital and fake to me but lots of people like that. My favourite octave up is the Foxrox Octron. It does octave down as well as octave up and sounds lush. I've tried the POG, PS5, Whammy, Unibass, French Toast and probably more I can't remember and it's easily my favourite octave up pedal.

Edit: Of course the Whammy does much more than just octave up which is all I needed.

Edited by joegarcia

[quote name='joegarcia' post='628631' date='Oct 17 2009, 12:18 PM']Mind you, this looks interesting:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fulltone-Ultimate-Octave_W0QQitemZ390107135112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item5ad4327c88#ht_1832wt_1167"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fulltone-Ultimate-Oc...#ht_1832wt_1167[/url][/quote]

that does look interesting!

went to try out a few bits today, the whammy is a def no, sounded cool but probs something ill get at a later date for mucking about with.

the 210 fender combo, was tbh, a bit of a let down! sounded nice for clean bass but the effects just didnt seem to work! i know before i get slated that they will for some but they didnt for me!

so im back to square 1, gonna try and think of another way maybe even getting a guitar amp up there.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='617479' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:42 PM']hi guys im a bit cross about losing bottom end when i kick in an overdrive or distotion, i still want the savage nasty distorted tone but i want a nice rumbling deep bass tone underneath it.

andy[/quote]

Pick up a rolls SX 21 or a Samson X-over or similar, and a small mixer. Run your bass into the crossover, and send the low pass to the mixer, and the hi pas to your efx. Mix and adjust crossover point to desired balance between bottom and fuzz, send mixed signal to your SVT. o need to buy another cab if the cab you use is loud enough and goes low enough for you.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='628862' date='Oct 17 2009, 05:10 PM']Pick up a rolls SX 21 or a Samson X-over or similar, and a small mixer. Run your bass into the crossover, and send the low pass to the mixer, and the hi pas to your efx. Mix and adjust crossover point to desired balance between bottom and fuzz, send mixed signal to your SVT. o need to buy another cab if the cab you use is loud enough and goes low enough for you.[/quote]

wont the signal be distorted tho?

ie wnt have one clean and on dirty?

andy

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys im doing some recordings on the weekend and im gonna try using our drummers trace elliot v4 to put some distortion thru, but its come around so quickly that im struggling to find a way to split my signal.

the more i think bout it the lehle splitter box i tried was broke as there was a significant drop in volume when both channels were on, so wnt be getting that.

anyone know anything i can pickup asap? also is it ok to run a head with no cab?

andy

• 3 weeks later...

just got my distortion amp!

let the backlash begin! lol

i tried it out thru a 8x6 ampeg cab the sound of the lm2 effected worked really well with the svt pro 6 that i set up and played along with it, and for 399 i couldnt say no! the cab im saving up for know hopefully will still be there in a few months!

the cab in the pic is the micro vr 210 cab! got it for 270 and am planning on getting the head to match down the line but can use this with the lm2 for practicing atm.

andy