Why become a member? ×

Cheap valve power!

henry norton

I'm sure someone's posted something about these amps before;
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashton-BV300H-All-valve-300watt-Bass-head-amp_W0QQitemZ180357483623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item29fe24cc67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_973wt_935"]ashton???!!![/url]

It's allot of valve power for your money but I wonder what you're buying into. It wouldn't cost much less to [i]re-valve[/i] an SVT or 400+. Anyone tried one?

Hmm I'd be tempted to say as with anything you get what you pay for...

Might be worth going down to the store if possible? (I'm assuming you're looking to buy? :) )

Also I seem to remember some guy down one of my music stores used to keep banging on about "sh*tty ashton bass amps" but he did get ashdown and aston confused so take that as you will.

NO!!!!!!!!!!! I'm definitely not looking to buy. I'm always curious about new gear on the market - especially as there seems to be more and more choice when it comes to big valve heads. Laney, Orange, Marshall, Ampeg, Matamp, Ashdown - but thus far I've almost always found cheap, far eastern gear lacking in almost every way. I hope whoever buys this bears that in mind.

I'm all valve meself, (after 20 odd years solid state) but 100 watts is more than enough for me and my back at the moment.

Possibly a real Chinese firecracker of an amp - possibly an easy bit of tweaking to make it sing?

I expect it has a cheap PCB holding it all together - I really don't know why they don't do a simple point-to-point tag board circuit - simples.

[quote name='henry norton' post='615832' date='Oct 3 2009, 04:44 PM']I'm sure someone's posted something about these amps before;
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashton-BV300H-All-valve-300watt-Bass-head-amp_W0QQitemZ180357483623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item29fe24cc67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_973wt_935"]ashton???!!![/url]

It's allot of valve power for your money but I wonder what you're buying into. It wouldn't cost much less to [i]re-valve[/i] an SVT or 400+. Anyone tried one?[/quote]
wow thats looks a bargain for that price! i'd love to have one of these and run it through its paces see if it does the 300watts!