Why become a member? ×

Gig tonight but feeling poorly. Help me get through it.

Linus27

I've got freshers flu (well, not flu, but freshers cold doesn't alitierate as well) atm, but I once did a gig when I had flu AND a put out back, at the time it was our biggest ever gig and I really didn't wanna let the band down, luckily the stage was next to the doors for the beer garden so I laid down outside and threw up probably more often than I hit a string, but I made it through, probably set my recovery back on both fronts 2 weeks, but it was worth it

Like someone else said, scotch is a very good cold cure, alcohol numbs the sore throat and constricts blood vessels so it helps the blocked nose, and I'm pretty sure lemsip doesn't have a distinctive islay smokey finish accompanied by a warm feeling of inflated self confidence.

Guys, guys, guys - can we please get back on topic?

I'm itching to hear how Michael got on with his dysfunctional band last night, and who was actually on the receiving end of a technicolour yawn.

(Just because I'm itching don't necessarily mean I got shingles, OK?)

:)

Bah, just man up and do it!
When I were a lad we had to walk ten miles uphill in the snow to get to coal face and do 14 hours hard graft. You kids today dont' know you're born!

Best of luck, I'd repeat the advice above of a little Dutch medicinal courage in the form of Scotch. Gung ho!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='615573' date='Oct 3 2009, 11:02 AM']Guys, guys, guys - can we please get back on topic?

I'm itching to hear how Michael got on with his dysfunctional band last night, and who was actually on the receiving end of a technicolour yawn.

(Just because I'm itching don't necessarily mean I got shingles, OK?)

:lol:[/quote]

Thanks Jack. Well from a health point of view, it went ok. Made sure I had lemsips, strepsils and pain killers every four hours. Had the chicken soup as recommended for lunch and by the evening I was feeling much stronger. The only downside was, because of the amount of fluids I have taken in, I was going for a long wee every 10 mins.

Playing wise I actually did really well. Felt totally locked in and after the gig had quite a few compliments on my playing which gave me big smiles :lol: Lots of people there and we went down really well. First gig with my new Fender MIA 75 Jazz and it is the most beautiful, easy to play bass in the world. I love it.

As for the band, well, what can I say. Last week, the biggest issue we had was no drums and our drummer saying he can't get to the gig on time for sound check. We needed to be there for 6pm and to give him credit, he made the effort and actually arrived before all of us :) However, as per usual, our singer and percussionist (a couple) were totally late by an hour. Same as the last gig and the same as most rehearsals. He then did his usual and dumped all his gear all over the stage and where I would normally stand so again, I have to ask him to move it. He then as always blasts his guitar full volume needing to be asked to turn down. As the rest of the night is kind of open mic with acoustic acts with two full bands, the general vibe is chilled, sit down and listen to audience. So the band think it would be cool to just tone it down a bit and play softer to fit in, all that is apart from the singer who says he would like to play loud and blow there heads off :rolleyes: The show is also running a little late so I say we may have to drop a song. I mention the last song into the set which is the weakest and more a filler and one the singer said sounded ropey at last practise only for the singer to say he thinks we should play it as its a good one. I asked him to name a weaker song in the set and he did not answer me. His reply was then we should not think about dropping songs but which extra ones we should add and then the rest of the band discuss which songs to add :lol: At that point I walked off. Then as the other band play their set, I noticed the singer had left his guitar pedal board all over the stage and his guitar tripod with two guitars on right in the centre of the stage with all the other acts having to work around it :lol: . Oh, and we had a discussion some weeks ago about image and we said the geeky scruffy 70's look would be cool. Similar to Weezer with Polos shirts, shirts with ties etc. So I turn up in my tight black polo shirt and blue jeans and the drummer in black shirt and blue jeans so both very similar only to be told by the singer and percussionist that I look to normal and could I change. I thought ok but then thought, no, I am matching the drummer, wearing what we discussed, actually match what the percussionist is wearing. So in my head I said f*** off, they never got to the gig on time which is more important and so never got changed :lol: After that I never really spoke to the band all evening and I think they noticed as after they kept asking if I was happy.

So, at this stage, I am unsure what to do. The songs are amazing and we always seem to go down so well but the band as people are so frustrating, especially the singer who seems to be totally on another planet, unable to accept self critisism, accept others opinions and is oblivious to his own actions. Despite the band having a great chance musically to do well, I can't see them actually doing well due to lack of comitment and the singers ego. I am 50% set on sending an email saying I am leaving and 50% set on staying but taking a more back seat role not giving a sh*t and in the meantime look for another band.

[quote name='Linus27' post='616074' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:27 PM']Thanks Jack. Well from a health point of view, it went ok. Made sure I had lemsips, strepsils and pain killers every four hours. Had the chicken soup as recommended for lunch and by the evening I was feeling much stronger. The only downside was, because of the amount of fluids I have taken in, I was going for a long wee every 10 mins.

Playing wise I actually did really well. Felt totally locked in and after the gig had quite a few compliments on my playing which gave me big smiles :lol: Lots of people there and we went down really well. First gig with my new Fender MIA 75 Jazz and it is the most beautiful, easy to play bass in the world. I love it.

As for the band, well, what can I say. Last week, the biggest issue we had was no drums and our drummer saying he can't get to the gig on time for sound check. We needed to be there for 6pm and to give him credit, he made the effort and actually arrived before all of us :) However, as per usual, our singer and percussionist (a couple) were totally late by an hour. Same as the last gig and the same as most rehearsals. He then did his usual and dumped all his gear all over the stage and where I would normally stand so again, I have to ask him to move it. He then as always blasts his guitar full volume needing to be asked to turn down. As the rest of the night is kind of open mic with acoustic acts with two full bands, the general vibe is chilled, sit down and listen to audience. So the band think it would be cool to just tone it down a bit and play softer to fit in, all that is apart from the singer who says he would like to play loud and blow there heads off :rolleyes: The show is also running a little late so I say we may have to drop a song. I mention the last song into the set which is the weakest and more a filler and one the singer said sounded ropey at last practise only for the singer to say he thinks we should play it as its a good one. I asked him to name a weaker song in the set and he did not answer me. His reply was then we should not think about dropping songs but which extra ones we should add and then the rest of the band discuss which songs to add :lol: At that point I walked off. Then as the other band play their set, I noticed the singer had left his guitar pedal board all over the stage and his guitar tripod with two guitars on right in the centre of the stage with all the other acts having to work around it :lol: . Oh, and we had a discussion some weeks ago about image and we said the geeky scruffy 70's look would be cool. Similar to Weezer with Polos shirts, shirts with ties etc. So I turn up in my tight black polo shirt and blue jeans and the drummer in black shirt and blue jeans so both very similar only to be told by the singer and percussionist that I look to normal and could I change. I thought ok but then thought, no, I am matching the drummer, wearing what we discussed, actually match what the percussionist is wearing. So in my head I said f*** off, they never got to the gig on time which is more important and so never got changed :lol: After that I never really spoke to the band all evening and I think they noticed as after they kept asking if I was happy.

So, at this stage, I am unsure what to do. The songs are amazing and we always seem to go down so well but the band as people are so frustrating, especially the singer who seems to be totally on another planet, unable to accept self critisism, accept others opinions and is oblivious to his own actions. Despite the band having a great chance musically to do well, I can't see them actually doing well due to lack of comitment and the singers ego. I am 50% set on sending an email saying I am leaving and 50% set on staying but taking a more back seat role not giving a sh*t and in the meantime look for another band.[/quote]
Good grief that sounds like a lot of hard work & tongue biting!!

Just back from my second of two. Thought I was going to hurl towards the end of the second set due to over indulging the throat lozenges

Michael, there IS a third way, y'know!

Instead of sending 'em an email saying "Go Band Go" or sending 'em an email saying "I'm So Gone", go with the silent treatment. Just drop off their radar for a week or two. Don't answer emails or texts, just ignore them for being a bunch of ... erm ... self-satisfaction merchants. :)

They'll either find another bass player (which tells you where you really sit in their affections) or they'll be desperate to find out why you're so upset and what can they do about it.

From all your posting on this subject (and bearing in mind my massive INexperience compared to yours), I can't believe that you'll be happy in this band unless changes are made.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='616385' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:58 AM']Michael, there IS a third way, y'know!

Instead of sending 'em an email saying "Go Band Go" or sending 'em an email saying "I'm So Gone", go with the silent treatment. Just drop off their radar for a week or two. Don't answer emails or texts, just ignore them for being a bunch of ... erm ... self-satisfaction merchants. :)

They'll either find another bass player (which tells you where you really sit in their affections) or they'll be desperate to find out why you're so upset and what can they do about it.

From all your posting on this subject (and bearing in mind my massive INexperience compared to yours), I can't believe that you'll be happy in this band unless changes are made.[/quote]

Thanks Jack, I like your plan. I will give that a go.

[quote name='Linus27' post='616488' date='Oct 4 2009, 01:41 PM']Thanks Jack, I like your plan. I will give that a go.[/quote]

Be sure to say "nothing" in and "if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you" when they ask what's wrong .. :)
Marriages eh?

Oh sorry this is a band isn't it .... I forgot for a bit there ..

Call a meeting, bring it all up and speak the truth. If they don't change, leave.

The worst thing that can happen is that they will sack you or let you leave, then implement all the changes you've recommended and become successful, rich and famous.

That may not happen though :rolleyes: