Why become a member? ×

I'm All Shuke Up!

Doc B

Mrs Doc B recently suggested that I actually go out and get myself 'the bass I've always wanted' which initially made me think of a Warwick Thumb V NT or a Musicman V as these are my 2 favourite basses aside from a Jazz (and I've got a nice Squier Jazz). Looking at the prices of these I then got to thinking that I could get a bass built to my own spec for the same money. I spent a while thinking about what I'd really like in a bass and came to the conclusion that it would be the older, less clubby, Warwick necks and string spacing with Musicman style electronics and neck/body woods. I looked into a Warwick custom shop order but that was way too expensive. So the next thing was to start looking at the custom builders and by coincidence I realised that Jon Shuker's workshop is very close to here we holiday in the Peak District. So I made an appointment to visit when we were down a couple of weeks ago.

Aside from getting to discuss my ideal bass spec, the visit to Jon's place was pleasant, friendly and interesting (Mrs DB agreed and she isn't that interested in basses). There were some beautiful basses on display both in the upstairs 'studio' area and the ones in various states of build downstairs. I had been thinking of a custom body shape but seeing the Shuker 'Standard' body shape for real convinced me that this was the one to go for.

Any, enough rambling, the spec I've decided on is:

'Standard' body shape

34" scale
24 fret
maple neck
maple f/board
two way truss rod
carbon fibre reinforcement
medium fretwire
graphite nut
no fingerboard face dots
black 2mm side dots
satin neck lacquer
gotoh tuners
swamp ash body
polyester basecoat
wet look gloss topcoat
no s/plate
[i]Seymour Duncan MM 5 Alnico
Seymour Duncan 3 band circuit - slap switch
[/i]series / parallel switch - the wiring allows this (series, parallel or single coil)
Black Hardware
Schaller 2000 bridge
16.5mm string spacing at the bridge
45mm nut (ala warwick thumb 5) - neck profile similar to warwick neck but more even depth and slightly reduced 'clubby' feel

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the choice of 3 band EQ to use. I'm after a flavour of Musicman tone but I'm not so concerned with having an 'authentic' vintage MM tone. The 2 EQ circuits I'm looking at are the Seymour Duncan 3 band MM replacement EQ and Jon Shuker's own 3 band EQ.

Any opinions or advice on the EQ will be gladly received.

I went for Shuker's own EQ but it's hard to tell how good it is as you don't get to try different eq's with the chosen pick ups - if that makes sense?

All I can say is my bass sounds lovely and powerful - very musicmanish - although I went with Delano pups.

Another highly rated EQ circuit is the Aguilar, I was set to go with this one but someone else on here recomended I give Jon's a try - so I did.

I dunno if this'll help, my Shuker has a smallish body with bolt on maple neck / board and Jon's 3 band EQ - just be aware that combination has resulted in a very bright (but not unpleasantly so) sounding bass. If that's what you're after, proceed with confidence.

His preamp is very powerful so you can dial in a wide range of sounds.

[quote name='7string' post='612962' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:49 PM']Personally, I'd get the ACG filter-based pre. Tremendous bit of kit. :)[/quote]

I'd really try a bass with an ACG preamp first before choosing it though.

[quote name='simon1964' post='613010' date='Sep 30 2009, 02:59 PM']I would have a serious look at Delano pickups and EQ. I've got both on my Shuker and love the sound.[/quote]

Looks like I might get a lot of different answers to this question!

I had a look at the Delanos but Jon recommended the Seymour Duncan alnico MM pickup for what I wanted.

I suppose preamps are one of the more easily changeable components if I decide on something else once I actually get the bass next year.

Edited by Doc B