Why become a member? ×

My generation bass break.

3V17C

[quote name='Bald Eagle' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:40 PM' post='65536']
FWIW I didn't find it the slightest bit funny, not even mildy amusing I don't think he would give a damn what a bunch of old farts think anyway.

MB1. :)

Didnt realise ,The Who had seen it?

I feel compelled to comment as in Uni, me and my mates got together to play My Generation (as well as Citizen Erased, Song 2 and Smoke On The Water) at the end of year music open Mic type thing (me on bass).

Now this was only the 2nd time I've ever gigged with not even a proper band and I decided that for the benefit of the audience (and to save embarrassment) I would either learn the solo properly (or as best as I could) or concede that I can't play it and let someone else who can.

My point is, that to a certain extent you can't just stand on a stage and play anything if it sounds, quite frankly, awful. If someone said to me "learn YYZ for a gig next week" I would say "no, I'm not good enough, find someone who can. If I play it will be a car crash performance."

I don't want to pick on this person, but as an audience member there is only so much I can appreciate the fact that "at least he tried" point of view. It seems either he just couldn't be arsed, or he's out of depth, which you've got to admit to yourself or you'll never really progress as a player.

Edited by Bidd

Slowly raises hand, think so lol havnt tried for ages! Once my bass is bk from repairs i might do the stupid thing and record lol

Btw i use powertab so theres a chance thatll be wrong :) (cover my back on that one!)

Edited by charic

To those who cannot fathom why many of us are content to restrict our playing to within the 4 walls of our homes, you only need to read the more scathing comments on this thread to see one possible reason why.

If I was a newbie bassist about to take the plunge and join my first band, I'd probably be re-appraising the idea on the strength of the less charitable comments we've seen here.