Why become a member? ×

ashdown BTA 400 Head

nash

• 2 weeks later...

i emailed ashdown today asking why they put and EVO III pre in it.

as far as valve amps for me, my guitarist is going to build me one. based on a 70's SVT with KT88's and 2 channels (dirt/dirtier) with their own EQ's, midi switching for channels and fx loop.

Ashdown's reply to my question - why didn't you guys opt for an all valve preamp?

[b]Dear Steve,

Simple really the biggest selling valve amps in the world have a hybrid front end and we want to take some of their market.

What is critical here is the HUGE size and power of the Valve back end and the tone and punch you get from this, whilst still retaining a pre amp that ALL of our Artists know very well and like, which also has great tone and flexibility.

However of course we do have ongoing projects and a very simple old school tube front end is also available next year with the same back end, you will have to wait and see/ hear them both in the near future.

I cannot be more exact, the BTA400s start shipping next week and then you will see and hear about the rest of the lines to come on Valve amps which Mr Green and myself have been working on for a year or so.

Also please note, these are UK built 100% there is NOT a major bass amp made in the USA or UK at anywhere near the prices the BTA 400 is being sold, yes its very expensive, but when you see HOW its built and it DOES put out over 400w rms I think it may be a nice surprise.

There are amps claiming to be 200w and ‘made in the uk’ however if you measure them you will see they put out 140 to 150w and other US amps put out nowhere near the power there names suggest , hence we have taken a little too long to get the power and reliability correct along with longevity of the valves and transport issues such heavy monsters give. Sadly they are VERY heavy and VERY Big.

Hope this helps, watch this space over the next 3 months in the lead up to the launches due for 2010..

Best rgds

Mark[/b]

[quote name='nash' post='614045' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:59 PM']Mark says the BTA is 100% UK made. why is it in a series called the US series?[/quote]

I guess being 'all tube' its US influenced and aimed at that market? Sounds like there's lots going on at Ashdown anyway, curious to see what else they hve planned.

[quote]Hand-built at the Ashdown factory in Kentucky, USA, the US Series cabinets combine massive performance with exceptional value for money, while BTA 400 head (Big Tube Amp) partners a feature-laden ABM EVO III preamp with a sledgehammer 400W power section comprising of 8 KT88 tubes and massive output transformers. Alongside great tone and flexibility, what makes the BTA 400 really special is its reliability. With a chassis suspended on car engine mountings and a circuit design that will even survive running with no speakers connected, this is a tube bass amp head you can depend on.[/quote]

i'm not sure if it's just the cabs made in the USA?

Edited by nash

[quote name='nash' post='614042' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:57 PM']Ashdown's reply to my question - why didn't you guys opt for an all valve preamp?

[b]Dear Steve,

Simple really the biggest selling valve amps in the world have a hybrid front end and we want to take some of their market.

What is critical here is the HUGE size and power of the Valve back end and the tone and punch you get from this, whilst still retaining a pre amp that ALL of our Artists know very well and like, which also has great tone and flexibility.

However of course we do have ongoing projects and a very simple old school tube front end is also available next year with the same back end, you will have to wait and see/ hear them both in the near future.

I cannot be more exact, the BTA400s start shipping next week and then you will see and hear about the rest of the lines to come on Valve amps which Mr Green and myself have been working on for a year or so.

Also please note, these are UK built 100% there is NOT a major bass amp made in the USA or UK at anywhere near the prices the BTA 400 is being sold, yes its very expensive, but when you see HOW its built and it DOES put out over 400w rms I think it may be a nice surprise.

There are amps claiming to be 200w and ‘made in the uk’ however if you measure them you will see they put out 140 to 150w and other US amps put out nowhere near the power there names suggest , hence we have taken a little too long to get the power and reliability correct along with longevity of the valves and transport issues such heavy monsters give. Sadly they are VERY heavy and VERY Big.

Hope this helps, watch this space over the next 3 months in the lead up to the launches due for 2010..

Best rgds

Mark[/b][/quote]

"People want to be able to say they have a valve rig, but they actually want tone controls that work in they way their solid state amps ones do."

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='614300' date='Oct 1 2009, 09:27 PM']"People want to be able to say they have a valve rig, but they actually want tone controls that work in they way their solid state amps ones do."[/quote]

Good answer. i want to hear the proper valve front end.

[quote name='nash' post='614042' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:57 PM']Ashdown's reply to my question - why didn't you guys opt for an all valve preamp?

[b]Dear Steve,

Best rgds

Mark[/b][/quote]

i want to see the schematic if there actually getting OVER 400watts out of 8 kt88s there must be some heavy duty drivers in this amp!

The old MusicMan amps used a solid state pre and valve power amp. It's where the valves should be if you really want the 'valve sound' and the headroom. A valve or two in the pre will colour the sound but as most 'hybrid' amp owners'll tell you, a valve preamp won't make it sound like an SVT classic. That's asides from all the transistors and op amps in your active bass. :rolleyes: The first Trace valve series had a GP11 pre as well.

It would be interesting to try one of these back to back with a Marshall or Ampeg all valve setup. Mind you, that would only happen "if Heiniken ran music shops" :)

[quote name='umph' post='614671' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:04 PM']i want to see the schematic if there actually getting OVER 400watts out of 8 kt88s there must be some heavy duty drivers in this amp![/quote]

If my four KT88s kisck out over 300 wouldnt their 8 be able to push well beyond 400?

[quote name='Monz' post='615662' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:55 PM']If my four KT88s kisck out over 300 wouldnt their 8 be able to push well beyond 400?[/quote]

Classic question of what THD? Betting you are loving the grind at that point, whereas Umph is a clean valve sound sorta guy and will be looking at 'clean watts'.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='615922' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:26 PM']At this price itd be Matamp/Orange....no doubt about it.[/quote]
Thing is you're looking at half the power for not much less money if you go the Orange route, less control too. Having said that, don't Laney do a 400watt all valve bass head for around the same money, if not a bit less?

[quote name='henry norton' post='615978' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:19 PM']Thing is you're looking at half the power for not much less money if you go the Orange route, less control too. Having said that, don't Laney do a 400watt all valve bass head for around the same money, if not a bit less?[/quote]

Recorded using one of those (if you mean the Nexus). Fairly fiddly, not stupid heavy considering, brought the doom though. Lots of LEDs, didn't really have the look, prefer Ashdown styling.

[quote name='henry norton' post='615978' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:19 PM']Thing is you're looking at half the power for not much less money if you go the Orange route, less control too. Having said that, don't Laney do a 400watt all valve bass head for around the same money, if not a bit less?[/quote]

The Orange is basically plug in and enjoy...it sounds good with no tweaking...much like my LM3 actually. Im all for simplicity, if it sounds bad, tweaking wont help that much.

The 200W valve power is very loud and musical. I believe Matamp/Orange do the 200W heads to get the sweet spot at lower volumes.

Just my 2p :)

[quote name='nash' post='617806' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:59 PM']i emailed mark saying i was confused as to where the BTA will be made this was his reply which i find interesting

[b]us series is made in both countries, but bta 90 percent UK built
US series has US speakers and sound[/b][/quote]

Maybe the ones for the American market are being built in the USA, which would make sense, saves shipping a load of 40kg amps across the Atlantic.