Why become a member? ×

Transcription for Never Too Much?

Nick80

Please help!

I'm trying to learn the bassline to this song, does anyone have a transcription? The latest issue of Bass Player has a transcription of the chorus but I'm struggling to work out the rest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick.

Edited by Nick80

• 3 weeks later...

I can help you out with this as we cover this with Project13 - I didnt use a transcription, just did it by ear but can tell you what I do. Im crap at writing tab so listen to the record to get the rythm and sound out the notes I write out here, it will all become clearer:

The song starts with that funky slide, followed by 3 notes leading into the verse parts - A, Ab, A#,B

Verse:

B, A, B, C#,D, G, G Octave, G, E, A, B

And so on so forth - the whole song is fairly easy once you have the notes down, the challenge I found was getting the feel and note lengths spot on - obviously you will never get the song to sound like it does on record because you will never sound like Marcus Miller, but you can get close to it!

• 4 weeks later...

When I transcribe tracks, I usually put the whole track up an octave and slow it down - I find the bass comes through clearer that way.

Just a note to some of the guys having trouble with transcriptions and you a need a quick fix, see if there are any quality versions of the track you are looking at in .mid format (midi files) - get a decent player, mute all tracks apart from the bass and that should give you at least a starting point. Of course, I wouldn't recommend this as the be all and end all as the quality of midi files can vary alot.

Anybody else care to share any transcribing tips?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='84911' date='Nov 7 2007, 01:55 PM']Anybody else care to share any transcribing tips?[/quote]

Be able to sing it first, even if it is just a bit at a time. Get transcribe or some that can slow the track down and personally i write the rhythm out first as I can do that no problem once i can sing it. The notes are the hard part! I just take i in phrases and try and play it. Once it is right I will write the notes into the rhythm. Of course sometimes, I don't write things down, then I just work on a phrase at a time playing it along with the recording.

TOP TIP: Get ear training into your practice routine and transcibing (which is obviously part of it aswell...isn't it!?) will be much easier.

[quote name='chardbass' post='85755' date='Nov 9 2007, 12:54 AM']I have a bass part I did for this- I'll try and dig it out and post it here.[/quote]

I hope this isn't breaching any copyright.
I asked the man himself about how he counted the bars after the chorus.
Apparently Marcus counted the opening bar as a 5/4 bar with the slide being beat 1.

The round and round repeat at the end is edited for the version we did- the original is a fade.

Edited by chardbass