Why become a member? ×

CIJ 70s RI Precision Bass Pickups

Killstarz

Ok, Ive just had some new PUPs installed on my CIJ 70s RI Precision and i was wondering what the stock pickups are?

I vaguely remember reading that they came stock with 62 vintage PUPs but i could be mistaken.

any help would be greatly appreaciated as i'd like to put the stock ones up for sale but i cant until i know exactly what they are?

If it is an 'export' model they are just stock 'no model' Fender pickups, but if it is an export model then it has 'US Vintage reissue' pickups. I've been given to understand that neither are US pickups and no doubt come from the same factory - however I have heard they do sound different. I wouldn't go as far as saying they were a reissues of a certain year. I think my 1989 Jazz Bass Special sounds more vintage than my vintage reissue ;o)

I just bought and fitted a Fender 'Original' pickup last night, which is the '62 re-issue. The wiring on the coils is much darker than the shiny copper wire I had on the old MIA pickup and also the 62 RI has a brass baseplate that goes underneath the pickup. If the wiring is dark in colour and you have the baseplate then it's probably a 62 RI.